Never had it to ask about, but I do now!

wyfan64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally have a digital camera that shoots RAW. Ok what is it? LOL In small brain terms please :wink:

Quite simply, it is the raw data captured by your camera's sensor without any in camera processing done to the images.

Many times when a camera shoots in JPG mode the camera will apply some adjustments to the image being captured. The adjustments differ by camera manufacturer and on some cameras can be controlled by the user. Things the camera adjusts vary from saturation, brightness, contrast and any number of other items.

Raw has none of those adjustments applied. It is just that....raw data.

Cool, now I can check off question number 32 on my list thanks to wyfan64 who asked first :D

Thanks for the simple explanation. It was done in MY understanding level! Now I just have to find it and try it LOL

I only shoot Raw but you need to be aware of the fact that EVERY Raw file needs to be post processed and converted.

RAW is just another tool that can use to enhance one's images. A RAW file gives you greater manipulative power in post processing over JPEG. RAW is super for color balancing with far greater latitude than JPEG.

Some have equated an Out-of-the-Camera JPEG with a Polaroid and a RAW file to a film negative ... and there is much to be said of this comparison.

RAW isn't for everybody ... If you are passionate about your final image being the best it can be and willing to spend the extra time to squeeze out every pixel of goodness from you files ... then RAW is a good choice ... if photography isn't all that important to you then out-of-the-camera JPEG would be just fine. (Most news photogs shoot JPEG due to time constraints ... as an example of a professional JPEG shooter.)

Gary

I only shoot Raw but you need to be aware of the fact that EVERY Raw file needs to be post processed and converted.

Also be aware that this can be done in a batch with default settings to emulate what your camera does, but it takes about 30min or so on a slower computer.

Btw when you start of, resist the temptation to archive your images in RAW format. I see a lot of people doing it and I find it is a waste. JPEG are an easier format to handle and view, they are smaller, and the only advantage RAW has over JPEG is that there is no quality loss when you edit it. But once you have a final image why store a RAW if you won't edit it again. Mind you this comes down to personal taste.

I just wanted to point out to any newbies, like myself, that RAW files are huge and fill up a memory card rather quickly.

Most reactions

Back