New 24" iMac - WOW

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure this is the best place to post this - but since I use my computer for photo and video editing, this seemed like the most logical place.

I have had a 2011 27" iMac since, well, 2011. It has served me well for my photo editing needs for over 10 years, but it was getting long in the tooth and was getting very slow.

Well, I just took delivery of the new 24" iMac and, while the screen is smaller, it is more than large enough to do photo editing. The first thing I noticed is how blazingly fast this thing is (compared to my 2011 iMac). It boots up in seconds. Lightroom used to take forever to open up, load my catalog, and be ready to use on my old iMac. Now it takes about 7 seconds! I have not done a lot with it yet, but even things like exporting images from LR seems so much faster than what I'm used to - I love this thing! Also, I can't believe how light and thin it is (7/16 inch thick). The box it came in literally weighs more than the computer!

24iMac.jpg

I glanced at them. Do they still run Windows natively? There are a couple things I use that only run in Win environment.

I glanced at them. Do they still run Windows natively? There are a couple things I use that only run in Win environment.
You can run Windows 10 as I understand it but not any earlier versions. I had been running Windows 7 under Bootcamp on my previous Intel (27") iMac but decided that I could do everything I need to do without Windows, so I finally cut the cord and don't plan on installing Windows - but Windows 10 can be done.

I had the Intel MBP and could, but I was wondering about these with the new processors. Something to think about, I guess. My current laptop is doing just fine so it won’t be replaced anytime soon.

I had the Intel MBP and could, but I was wondering about these with the new processors. Something to think about, I guess. My current laptop is doing just fine so it won’t be replaced anytime soon.
My iMac was over 10 years old so it was definitely time for an upgrade. It was getting frustratingly slow.

Congrats. I'm on my 4th iMac since the colored orbs in the '90's switching out after they're long in the tooth. Seems like they're alway an improvement in speed but end up slowing down in time.

Congrats. I'm on my 4th iMac since the colored orbs in the '90's switching out after they're long in the tooth. Seems like they're alway an improvement in speed but end up slowing down in time.
I had been a PC/ Windows guy all my life (well, as long as PC were being made). Then, in 2008 I got my wife a 21" iMac and started playing around on it myself. I really did start to like the Apple interface better than Windows, so in 2011, I finally made the switch to my first iMac (27"). Of course since I still had a lot of stuff I needed to run on Windows, I ended up installing Windows 7 under Boot Camp. Now, I'm pure Apple and no more Windows at all.

Congrats on the new Mac!! Those spotless folders waiting to be filled, that colorful detailed screen, the minimalism of the connections, that new Mac smell! I’m totally jelly.

Congrats on the new Mac!! Those spotless folders waiting to be filled, that colorful detailed screen, the minimalism of the connections, that new Mac smell! I’m totally jelly.
Lol - yes, that new Mac smell - Sniff sniff! :pimp:

I was thinking about that too ... worth to say I hate computers :D .. we have several Macs home but I am using mostly laptop with Linux for photo editing .. I decided to wait for 27 version .. then I will think about that if we need another computer and which one it will replace

Most reactions

Back