New 27"imac screen

owenpga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My 2006 24" iMac just died and I'm searching for advice on new iMac replacement..
Let me start by saying that I like the matte screen on my old calibrated Mac which produced IMO very good prints.
Looking into the new 27 I7 iMac I'm not keen on the glossy screen. My girlfriend owns the glossy imac (2009?) and it doesn't compare to the look or color accuracy of my old imac. Not sure why Mac doesn't start producing these so consumers have the option??
So here is my current thought, by the iMac and purchase a nice 27" matte display. Haven't researched the displays for pricing and quality but it seems to be cheaper to buy the best iMac with all the upgrades than buying a comparable macpro + the monitor. I know it probably seems like overkill to buy another screen, but it seems like most individuals doing any kind of quality photo editing are using matte screens not glossy.
The speeds on the new imac i7 from what ive read are pretty close if not better than the current macpro??
Im guessing there are photographers out there with the same dilemma on the glossy screen and I'd like to know what solution they've come up with.
Thanks , Owen

Ezio or lacie monitor would be worth a look.

I have a 27" iMac and have no problem with the glossy screen. I have not back lighting behind me when I am editing. No back lighting, no reflections, and the color reproduction is no issue. At least not to me it isn't.

LOVING the 27" iMac Thunderbolt monitor
bigthumb.gif

I was concerned with the glossy before i bought it but after using it for a while i thing it is great

27 inch imac here too... no problems but I have my desk positioned in such there are no light sources from behind. Some have mentioned applying some sort of anti glare to the surface but I have no further info.

I have macbook with glossy screen and Apple CinemaDisplay with matte screen... I definitely prefer the matte. As someone mentioned, you could try Eizo. I've used the same 3 nearly daily for the last 6 years and they are still as bright and sharp as they were the day we got them. Color is pretty accurate out of the box as well.

I have a Cinema Display with the matte sceeen, and a new 2011 iMac with the glossy screen...i prefer everything on the Cinema Display...the iMac has been relegated to iPhone downloads and Facebook use...

I have a PC so it's not a problem for me. ;)

In all seriousness though, can you add and external screen or something? I'm not sure how to get around this with the "all in one" design of an iMac.

That's ok, we understand that it takes time to go from a Pinto to a Lamborghini.:lol: Stick with it and you will get a Lamborghini iMac of your own some day. :lmao:

In all seriousness though, can you add and external screen or something? I'm not sure how to get around this with the "all in one" design of an iMac.

Absolutely... just plug your mini-display port to DVI adapter in and there your go.

gryphonslair99 said:
That's ok, we understand that it takes time to go from a Pinto to a Lamborghini.:lol: Stick with it and you will get a Lamborghini iMac of your own some day. :lmao:

Not necessarily. I have a custom built computer with an i7-2700K,16GB of 1866mhz DDR3 RAM,and two Radeon 7970s. My computer makes your iMac look like rubbish.

gryphonslair99 said:

Not necessarily. I have a custom built computer with an i7-2700K,16GB of 1866mhz DDR3 RAM,and two Radeon 7970s. My computer makes your iMac look like rubbish.

Nothing like buying a flashy body with a 4 cylinder, carburetor fed Windows OS under the hood. :lmao:

^^^ that. I have a fe wsmokin' win machines but can't believe this new Mac!

gryphonslair99 said:

Nothing like buying a flashy body with a 4 cylinder, carburetor fed Windows OS under the hood. :lmao:

Nobody was knocking your Mac.. so why don't you cool it on bashing the PC's? Unnecessary! It makes you look like a FanBoi! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back