New Arista paper is fogged

snark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought 250 sheets of Arista VC RC paper from Freestyle a few months back. I put it on the shelf where I have all my other papers (no problems there). I started printing with ID-11 1:4 and got really bad fog. Changed to Dektol 1:2 and got the same result. It is rather unpredictable, most of the time the fog is uniform but sometimes it is blotchy (darker areas here and there). I changed to Ilford paper and everything's fine using the same developer.

I emailed Freestyle and they say there have been no other complaints.

Anyone know what caused this? Damaged in shipment perhaps? Any suggestions before I throw it out?

It does not matter what happened to it if you open as new and it is bad, Freestyle should still give you your money back. I got the same generic answer from Kodak about their bad (or just old shipped as new?) Rapid fix....no other complaints. Our camera store is getting a refund for the shipment and I in turn got mine from the store.
Please list the manufacture date and batch number if printed on the box.

It does not matter what happened to it if you open as new and it is bad, Freestyle should still give you your money back. I got the same generic answer from Kodak about their bad (or just old shipped as new?) Rapid fix....no other complaints. Our camera store is getting a refund for the shipment and I in turn got mine from the store.
Please list the manufacture date and batch number if printed on the box.
No such info on the box, only an item number. Stuff happens, I guess. At least I am done with it...won't be wasting any more time trying to figure out what went wrong.

It sounds like it could be a bad batch. I would try to push back a little with Freestyle, if you're convinced there's no issue with your darkroom that could have caused it. It's Arista RC; hardly a financial blow to refund or replace. ;)

Yep. Fortunately, neither does it constitute a serious financial blow to me. I think I will buy smaller quantities of Arista in the future in case it happens again, and let this sleeping dog lie.

This box of paper was on sale when I bought it. That's what I get for being a cheapskate.

Most reactions

Back