New Avatar...

You clearly haven't been to many writers forums ;)
Artists will argue about paints, brushes, paper, canvus and more
Writers will argue about pens and writing locations
Drivers will argue about wheels, exhausts, and vroomynoise

And don't get started on the horseriders - esp the rich snobby stort

oh and then there is PC or mac - PS3 or Xbox --

face it - humans love to disagree :lmao:

Show me a thread somewhere, where people are saying "Microsoft Word sucks", in the same tone a person roots for a sports team.

Professional artists just want the tools to do their job and they don't find personal identity in them. If they find identity in something, it's reflected in their work. They will have preference over certain tools and can discuss those preferences, but they spend most of their time working or creating.

I think it's mostly the people who buy expensive camera gear but aren't very good photographers that find some sort of identity in their gear. Go to pros websites. They don't have a link called 'my gear'. They just show their work.
When you go to an art gallery, do you see a camera body, lens, and metadata tags listed next to the photographs?

I'm not a super awesome photographer, but I don't really care about my gear at all. It could all burn tomorrow for all I care; I'm not attached to it in any way. I'd just want it replaced with equipment from a major manufacturer that gets good results. And in reality that could be almost anything on the market above a slight threshold.

no one has really addressed your avatar in a direct way. . . it doesn't read very clear to me. Calvin's relationship to the flaming Nikon text feels ambiguous--I don't know whether he is really jazzed about Nikon or doesn't like it. I think it would be really challenging to make it reflect the 'red neck' expression. You might need to add some text.

I did.

I took from the avatar that he thought Nikon was hot and that Calvin agreed.

Well if you put "Microsoft Word sucks" into google the first result I think fits the requirements very nicely ;)
As for pros websites it highly depends on teh pro and the aim of the website. If you mean a professional wedding photographer chances are their website is aimed at attracting customers and thus gear discussions and setup are not important in attracting that kind of audience. However some pros have extensive lists of gear- heck some of them even have a review section for comparing different bits of gear with each other and such.

Well if you put "Microsoft Word sucks" into google the first result I think fits the requirements very nicely ;)
As for pros websites it highly depends on teh pro and the aim of the website. If you mean a professional wedding photographer chances are their website is aimed at attracting customers and thus gear discussions and setup are not important in attracting that kind of audience. However some pros have extensive lists of gear- heck some of them even have a review section for comparing different bits of gear with each other and such.

You can write anything sucks into google and get results. People who are debating Microsoft Word sucking are not professional writers. They are just retarded bloggers. Show me a professional writer, someone who spent tens of thousands of hours writing, who hold childish feelings towards their word processor or finds some sort of retarded identity in their word processor.

Show me a pro that has a gear list. Someone well-known, that gets published in large publications (Vanity Fair, Vogue, etc.). Of course pros are going to discuss gear they like, but it isn't in the spirit of "brand A is #1, brand B sucks."

Carefull - you're suggesting that only professionals take things (like writing and photography) seriously. Are amateurs not worthy as well?

As for a pro with a gear list Juza Nature Photography
Not Vogue/Vanity Fair or that ilk because I honestly don't even read them let alone glance at those publications.

Carefull - you're suggesting that only professionals take things (like writing and photography) seriously. Are amateurs not worthy as well?

Nice spin. I'm saying professionals are a good example to look at since they use their gear more than anyone. They create photographs. They don't babble on about how cool their hammer and screwdriver is or just focus on their hammer and screwdriver. They produce art.

As for a pro with a gear list Juza Nature Photography
Not Vogue/Vanity Fair or that ilk because I honestly don't even read them let alone glance at those publications.

Again, show me a professional at the top level in the commercial field (Maxim, Time Magazine, whatever) that gets a b*ner over their gear by having a proud gear list on their site.

nikon vs canon ... canon
ps2 vs xbox ... xbox
chevy vs ford ... chevy
burger king vs mcdonalds ... wendys
iphone vs android platform ... android
mac vs pc ... if mac wasnt so overpriced i would vote for them, so0o0o0o PC!
cofee vs tea ... cofee cause i dont like pissing every five minutes (tea does that to me)
**** vs crap ... ****
snow vs asteroid ... asteroid because DESTRUCTION is awsome!
call of duty mw2 vs anything ..... after all glitches are fixed, i will vote for cod :)
condoms vs raw .... lets put it like this, i dont shoot jpeg ;)

:lmao:

i also wanted to add...
plasma vs lcd ... plasma
coke vs pepsi ... depends on container! i prefer pepsi usually
red bull vs 5 hour energy ... depends if i want speed or crack?
verizon vs att ... att because i get service in my house!
:greenpbl:

Last edited:
My thread has been hijacked, hehe.

Thanks to the guys who commented on my actual avatar however. Perhaps I'll look for a better Calvin, and try to fix the font to make it more legible.

Nice spin. I'm saying professionals are a good example to look at since they use their gear more than anyone. They create photographs. They don't babble on about how cool their hammer and screwdriver is or just focus on their hammer and screwdriver. They produce art.

Nope they pay the bills with a camera.
zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias Transform :: A short film for ScottKelby.com
Some might be lucky enough that what they pay the bills with is also creating art as well. Further more saying that professionals use gear more than amateurs is pure folly. In most fields with an amateur market that can afford pro end gear the amateurs are just as (if not better than ) many established pros. Further more they don't have to pay the bills with the camera so they are far more free to be as creative as they so choose -- often whilst a highend pro can choose what they create they also have to make a product - which has to sell. That limits things and also mean that (eg in the case of a portrait photographer) they have to work within limits to produce the product that the customer wants.

Again, show me a professional at the top level in the commercial field (Maxim, Time Magazine, whatever) that gets a b*ner over their gear by having a proud gear list on their site.

My Photo Equipment
(even though its yucky nikon stuff ;) )

I am somewhat impressed you keep arguing with me. You seem to be ignoring the spirit of what I am saying. The camera is not located in the photographer's hands it's located in the photographer's head. Anyone worth their salt recognizes that. Getting off on your gear and placing part of your identity in it is like the carpenter putting his hammer on a pedistal. He or she probably puts the work they produce on the pedistal. Are we camera collectors or photographer's?

The entire strobist movement is centered on getting people to stop obsessing about their gear and teaching them how to use it.

I am somewhat impressed you keep arguing with me. You seem to be ignoring the spirit of what I am saying. The camera is not located in the photographer's hands it's located in the photographer's head. Anyone worth their salt recognizes that. Getting off on your gear and placing part of your identity in it is like the carpenter putting his hammer on a pedistal. He or she probably puts the work they produce on the pedistal.

Interesting - in the old days a carpenter made their own tools (one of the most important things they make as part of their apprenticship (SP)) so their work was both on the pedistal and in their hand.

Are we camera collectors or photographer's?

Can't we be both?

The entire strobist movement is centered on getting people to stop obsessing about their gear and teaching them how to use it.

I though it was centred around using Blue Peter methods to help stop Gary Fong getting any richer ;) :lmao::lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back