New B&W critique?

Binyamin!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in awhile, but I was at the seaport the other day and took some pictures of seagulls. I decided to post this one up after converting to B&W, please tell me what you think :) thanx

3819966070_f8e2aa24ce.jpg

I would say a little more contrast on the water and rock, and maybe a tiny crop on the top... Just my opinion. Good photo.

Hey, thanks for the response. I am not quite sure about the contrast yet, as I am new to Photoshop, but thank you for the tips.

Are you using Elements or the full version of Ps? And if the full version, which one, such as PsCS or PsCS4?

It'll make a difference as to how one might add contrast to an image.

Common to both the full Ps and Elements is the Levels adjustment. Here I've used the gamma (middle) slider, pulling it to the right to increase contrast in the mid tones a little.

And I cropped as JOSHardson suggested. I've kept the gull's head on one of the thirds.

3822823769_1c29a8ee8d_o.jpg

In the full Ps, one can also use a curves adjustment. One can dodge and burn. Then there are layer blending modes. There are many ways to accomplish stuff.

Looking at my rendering of your photo, I could have pulled the highlight slider left a little to increase the white, but it's tough working on a low level jpeg. I probably would have blown the highlights.

As I look at the crop, I can see what JOSHardson saw about his idea of the composition, but I think it loses some of that feel of the vast ocean beyond the gull. I think keeping your original composition or going with the suggested crop is simply a matter of what you were trying to achieve.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back