New Bag Advice

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a new bag to carry my two primary lenses (the 24-70 and 70-200). Unless I'm off doing something specific wher eI need more equipment, that will be pretty much all I need to lug around for most occasaions.

Right now I'm looking at the Lowepro Urban Sling 250. Looks like it will fit the equipment perfectly, with just enough space for and extra lens or flash.

Anyone else have any other reccomendations for something similar? I'm specifically looking to get something for a 10-day trip to CA where I plan to bring both those lenses and a flash.

I'd prefer to have something with easy top/side access so I can just grab the camera out of the bag at a whim.

If you consider a shoulder bag, I would go for a think tank retrospective. Probably the 10 would fit everything you need with some room to spare.
It is pretty stylish too!

I love my Crumpler 5 million as a vacation bag. It doesn't scream camera and fits body w/ lens, 2 additional lens or 1+ flash. I usually have 5100 w/ 18-105 lens, add'l lens and my compact zoom. A little extra room for one or two filters and some small cleaning supplies. Easy top access to all w/out having to take the bag off. It's a shoulder style so might be too "pursey" for a guy though...

Amazon.com: Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home MD-05-15A: Camera & Photo

The only thing I do not like about it is the velcro is REALLY loud so if you plan to be taking shots in a church or someplace very quiet, it can be a bit awkward.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Nikon d700 with a grip - lenses: 28-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, plus some flashes

this is what I have and I really like it

[h=1]Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW[/h]

I like the access, but it's already larger than the Pro Runner 200 that I already have and don't like lugging around -- but mostly because it's a backpack that requires you to completely remove it from your shoulders, set it down, and then unzip in order to access it.

I think I might be able to squeeze the 70-200 and 24-70 in the Urban 150, which is actually smaller (the 250 is almost the same size as my current Pro Runner), and I could skip the flash...I probably don't need to bring it and can borrow an sb400 if need be.

The think tank 10 looks like it would work, just a bit pricey. The Crumpler doesn't look tall enough to fit the long lens.

My 70-200 f/2.8 is on my lens 95% of the time... And i absolutely LOVE my ThinkTank Retro 20.

The Retrospective 20 will hold your body w/ 70-200 attached while still being a small-ish bag. You'll have of room for the 24-70 and one more lens.

I've used it in heavy rain, snow, sand storms and never worry about my gear. Plus, depending on the color (mine is the Pinestone) it doesn't look like a camera bag!

Just to recap... Small, holds body+70-200 attached, easy to get camera out, built like a tank. (and awesome support from ThinkTank!)

(*edit*) good review of the Retro 20..
http://www.hunterphotographic.com/photographer-gear-review-think-tank-retrospective-20/

Got the Urban Sling 150 since it dropped to $49.99 with free shipping. It's bit tight with the 70-200 attached, but manageable--and the 24-70 will most likely be attached more often than not. You can see it just sticks up a bit past the zipper, but it's still able to close, just takes a bit of effort around the corners.

IMAG0105.jpg

Ordered the 250 to see if it's better in regards for extra breathing room to zip it up; it's a bit tough right now. But I like the size in comparison to my other bag:

IMAG0107.jpg

Check out www.cambags.com It's the best resource on the net for virtually every type and make of bag out there. Lots of reviews from users, and you can search by needs.

Hmm, I am going to go through the same bag hunt soon. I looked at that bag (online) and was not sure how well it would hold a large lens.
I saw the Urban Photo Sling but I seemed to like the Slingshot 202.
How long is that lens ?

I love my retrospective 30. It might be a little big for what you describe, but I carry, My gripped A77 with the 16- 50 f2.8 attached, 70-200 f2.8, one flash, filters for both 2.8's.... batteries... ect... plenty of room. They make smaller versions. Worth looking into. The quality is top of the line and its not obvious you are luggin around thousands in equipment. Unless you know what the bag looks like, it just looks like a shoulder bag.

I just recently picked up a Tamrac Zuma 5 and I really like it. It's big enough for my 70-200 mm, lets me take my tablet with me, plus all my other lenses. I really like the tamrac MAS system as well - lets me add a couple of extra lens cases or other MAS accessories on the side. I've got one lens case on the one side of it that I use for storing cleaning supplies, particularly my large rocket blower which is just a PIA to try and fit in most bags. I don't normally use my flash so rather than storing it in the bag I have an external MAS case for it too, so if I need it I can use the MAS strap on the other side to attach it to the bag without having to take stuff out of the bag and reorganize, I just slap it on and I'm ready to go.

Their is one downside, it's not really designed to store the D5200 with the grip attached and have it attached to a lens - I can put the grip on the 5200 and make room for it elsewhere by turning it sideways, or I can remove the grip and it fits like a glove when attached to the 70-200 mm. But I really wanted something I could take the tablet with me so that wasn't a deal breaker for me, just something to keep in mind if you look at the Zuma series.

The one other thing that I changed was the strap, the stock strap that came with it was ok but it wasn't really padded well enough to carry the 70-200 around for most of the day in the bag, so I got one of these to replace the stock strap with:

Skooba Design Superbungee Strap V.3, Black 730-201

I had that Crumpler 5 Million $ bag mentioned earlier, it was outstanding, great padding. Then I got their larger one and don't like it nearly as much. Don't know if it is because it is a newer version or just because it is a different model but the padding just isn't as plush.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back