'NEW' button - a new, annoying and redundant feature on the TPF what's new page

gk fotografie

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since yesterday, there is suddenly a completely unnecessary button marked NEW behind every thread on the 'what's new' page of TPF, not only annoying but it also makes everything very confusing. What is the need for this, anyway? If you click on 'what's new' in the menu you'll get the new items, right? So why would you communicate this via an extra button, with the word NEW attached to it, after each thread title? This really doesn't make any sense!

It's very simple to see if you have already read a (new) thread, because in that case the text is no longer in bold, how simple can it be...
What I noticed when logging out, the dark version of TPF is completely missing this 'NEW' button, so why is this button present in the normal light version of the TPF website and not in the dark version of TPF? Very illogical.
Probably something went wrong when installing the exif plugin (?), so please restore the normal display, without this 'NEW' button showing on the 'what's new' page. Thanks in advance!

new.png

If you click on 'what's new' in the menu you'll get the new items, right?
Actually, they show up when you hit the "Home" button, as well as the Forums listing, so they are tied to the thread, not a specific "button." I suspect it might help decrease the number of zombie posts.

What I noticed when logging out, the dark version of TPF is completely missing this 'NEW' button, so why is this button present in the normal light version of the TPF website and not in the dark version of TPF?
I can see them in the Dark mode.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 075300.png

Last edited:
Actually, they show up when you hit the "Home" button, as well as the Forums listing, so they are tied to the thread, not a specific "button." I suspect it might help decrease the number of zombie posts.

I can see them in the Dark mode.

View attachment 272373
In my Firefox, Brave and Microsoft Edge browsers, this NEW button is not visible anywhere in the dark version (not on the homepage, see my screenshot, = Firefox, not even on the What's new page). Help with zombie threads? How? Very naive to think that, the only thing that helps against zombie threads is to lock every thread that has not been responded to for 2 or 3 weeks, as is done on various forums and can be set automatically, so it costs no further effort for no one.
A sporadic response to a zombie thread does not outweigh the annoying, redundant NEW button that is now suddenly behind every thread.
Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 14-48-01 Photography Forum.png

Last edited:
I will be more specific in that Chrome and Safari tender them as shown. Perhaps your browser is unique.

Sometimes, at least, a person will open a thread from the related topics and not realize it’s an old one. Any reduction would be a help. As I said, it may get decrease them, not prevent them.

I think that’s all I have to say on this for now. Have a great day. :)

Once you click on a thread it no longer says New. So I know I’ve read that thread whether there are new posts or not. Can someone comment on nerwin’s double exposure thread so I can test my theory?

Once you click on a thread it no longer says New. So I know I’ve read that thread whether there are new posts or not. Can someone comment on nerwin’s double exposure thread so I can test my theory?
I commented in his thread in the People Gallery, so I hope that's the one you meant.

No I meant the double exposure thread.

Please tell me, given the current crises, this is costing you any sleep?

Please tell me, given the current crises, this is costing you any sleep?
Much like you and the recent exif data crisis that you threatened to leave the forum over?

Last edited:
Let's dial it back.

Don't think it's working

Most reactions

New Topics

Back