New Camera Day - Nikon D610

StandingBear1983

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to say that i bought the D610 and not the D810 because i couldn't justify the price for what I'm paying for...for me personally the D610 is more the enough for what i need...i also found out that the D610 has 21mm eye relief on the viewfinder compared to the D810's 17mm (why is that? its a higher model). which is better if you have glasses like me. its critical for me also because i have a few manual lenses (50mm 1.4 Ais, 105mm 2.5 Ais) and i need the best and largest viewfinder i can have to focus manually through the viewfinder...although its not a film camera's viewfinder but its the best Nikon got right now...I'm shooting mainly portraits so i don't need the fancy 51 point focus...1 cross type point is good enough for me :)...and the D610 was exactly half the price of the D810 so that helps decide too ;).

My advice while going through this process, don't listen to the hype and look at what you really NEED...one doesn't need more then 8MP today if one doesn't print there work all the time...i say 8mp and not 3mp because i'm thinking about 4k res screens in a year or two...now one needs 3mp if you don't print anything...of course more res gives one more detail though you don't see that detail until its printed or supported by a screen that can handle it. and if you tend to do a lot of cropping just because you can you might want to get closer to fill the frame or zoom in closer...and yes there are times that you can't zoom or walk as in birds and sports (some sports). i personally try not to crop and get it in the camera right...but I'm not shooting birds or sport.

Another thing that is the main difference about the two cameras is the shutter speed...the thing is one only needs a shutter speed of 1/4000 at ISO 50 if you shoot with a f1.2 lens on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky...and you wouldn't like to do that anyway if you're shooting portraits mainly because the light is too hard and creates difficult shadows on the face and i don't tend to carry reflectors and a lot of stuff when i shoot so there you go...that's why i don't need the 1/8000.

One last thing i want to say, people tend to forget that the most important thing is the photographer, the lens and the viewfinder, which is the main tool your eye is using to take a picture...so all the fancy features in the world matter's less then those three.

Enjoy your fine new camera. No need to defend your choice. We all know money talks

Yeah, sounded kinda defensive of your selection.
I have a d600 and a d7000, so I know about the selection process.

For alot of things that I do MegaPixels matter. 36 would be nicer but the 8x0 is way too much $$$. and the d6x0 is a fantastic camera with all things considering.

Alot of people look at specifications and poo-poo a camera for something or another. But as one pushes specifications one also pushes the PRICE $$$.

So you can only buy what you want to spend. And i figured the d600 was alot of $$$ anyways and *alot* of camera.

Have fun with your new camera, it's a great camera.

1.Congratulation on getting an EXCELLENT FX camera.

2.You sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself you did the right thing by buying the D610 and not the D810, if deep inside you really wanted to get the D810 then you shuold have done that, not because its better or more expensive but because it sounds to me like thats what you really wanted deep inside.

3. 8MP is enough ?
Really ?
Totally disagree, I tend to crop the crap out of my pictures an many times I find even 24MP is bare minimum for me, today I wouldnt go with ANYTHING less then 24MP, is 36MP too much ?
Well I am happy with 24 but frankly today I wouldnt say no to a 36MP sensor but thats my need and my style-to each his/her own.

I guess the thing I find most ironic is that it's always the folks that have spent a ton of money on full frame cameras and the top echelon lenses that seem to advise everyone else that all you really need is a 3 mp camera and a kit lens.

A really good photographer can make up for a lot of shortcomings in their equipment, no doubt about it. But seriously, why would you want to if you don't have too?

You don't see professional roofers show up with nothing but old fashioned hammers - they carry nail guns. It performs basically the same task, and yes a skilled roofer could still reshingle your house using nothing but an old fashioned hammer. But why would he want to when he can use an nail gun and accomplish the same task a whole lot easier?

Does it make him "less" of a roofer by doing so? Of course not. So I guess my question is why do some try to make it sound like I'm "less" of a photographer because I upgraded to a D7100 instead of still shooting with my old D5100?

This simply makes no sense to me whatsoever. No, I would never go back to using a D5100. Yes, I could get some good pictures using it - but by using the 7100 I can now concentrate more on things that matter most to me in getting the shot, and spend a lot less time dealing with trying to overcome shortcomings in the 5100's design.

So if you want to get rid of your 610 and replace it with a D100 more power to you. Me personally, I'll stick with my 7100. I don't feel a need to use old equipment as some sort of status symbol.

^^very well said post by robbins.

OP, you are trying to justify and defend your reason for buying a nikon d610. There is no reason to do this. Just go out and shoot.

Yeah, the D610's a good choice for a lot of customers. It has the right mix of features for the price point and for the real world. I agree about the 1/4000 second top shutter speed: I grew up in the era of 1/1000 being the top speed, and 1/500 second on leaf shutter and almost all medium format cameras, so the presence of 1/8000 second top speed has ALWAYS struck me as more of a marketing feature than anything really necessary. I remember when the Nikon FM-2 was premiered, with the world's first 1/4000 second shutter speed. AND with the then fastest flash synchronization speed for a focal plane shutter, at 1/200 second!!! [later upgraded to 1/250 in the FM-2n model].

You could have purchased a lightly used D800 for less. :allteeth:

Enjoy your new camera. Like others said... get what you want. What works for you. Don't worry about others.

Most reactions

Back