New Camera: Leica T Type 701

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
So my country still makes cameras ... ! And theres a new one now, too.

Well, this camera is made in Germany, but the lenses will be made in Japan, even if they claim they're done with the same standards.

I think its a charming little pearl, I'm really seduced by it. But I cant help but wonder though if the X100s isnt just as good, for a third of the price, at a loss of the interchangeable lenses. We'll have to see. Either way considering the already great optics of the X100s, the T Type 701 will have a hard time offering even higher quality than that.

Great Ming Thein review: World premiere: The 2014 Leica T (Typ 701) review ? Ming Thein | Photographer
Overall, it’s a solid performer in every way – but the UI and build quality really set it apart, and make it a more interesting experience to shoot with than a lot of competing mirroless cameras. [...] Now, what I’d really like to see is a Monochrom version of this camera...

Somewhat overly enthusiastic but otherwise pretty good Steve Huff review: The Leica T (Type 701) Unibody Digital Camera Review by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Disclaimer: Just as with my other reviews of cameras I really enjoy, if you are allergic to enthusiasm, do not like the use of capital letters when they are expressing points and are just an overall Leica hater then I suggest you do NOT read the review below.

First Comment (not review) by Thom Hogan: Leica Announces Real Mini M, the T | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan
I think this camera is going to be a hit and an instant sell-out, so pre-order yours quickly if you want one.

Ken Rockwell's weird mix of comment and copy&paste review, its not even really sure if he really owns one just yet: LEICA T System Review
Nothing can beat the Fuji X100S, which also has a 23mm f/2 ASPH lens and adds both an optical and an EVF in the camera itself, as well as a fantastic flash system.

If you are more interested in owning a LEICA as opposed to just getting great pictures, and want a rationally-sized LEICA mirrorless camera, this will be your only choice. [...]

I would be more interested if it were a hybrid M-mount (same flanges with elect contacts to support newer AF lenses) with FF similar to the M240 minus the rangefinder mechanism.

* Sensor and native mount to peak interest of the current M-mount users
* Replacement for the aging M-E which is based on the 2009 M9.
* Same optical formulas that could be applied to AF versions of the M-mount lenses.
* There are numerous APS mirrorless cameras but as far as I know, only 1 (Sony A7) FF sensor with interchangeable mount.
* R-system users would most likely be more interested in a FF sensor instead of APS.
* Leica is a small niche company. Now they have three mounts; M, T, and S. Each have their own formula since they are intended for different format sensors. Each are manufactured differently. Its a bit of format sprawl from my point of view. It cannot be easy to maintain (costly) 3 mounts in terms of new products and designs for such a small company. Canon abandoned their FD mount to focus on EOS. Nikon for the most part has a single mount with various compatibility complexities.

Sure they have an adapter to support M-mount lenses but the APS crop sensor didn't ring well with the M-mount community when the M8 was first release. I doubt it would ring well with the M-mount community today.. especially after a large percentage of them skipped the M8 and waited for the FF M9.

What's this thing going to do to my wallet?

From Reichmann's adoring piece located at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica_t_system_impressions_and_use.shtml:

"Pricing and Availability

The Leica T Type 701 camera body is priced in the U.S. at $1,850 in either black or silver finish. The SUMMICRON-T 23/f2 ASPH is $1,950 and the VARIO-ELMAR-T 18-56/f3.5-5.6 ASPH will be $1,750. The optional Visoflex EVF is $595 and the M lens adaptor will be $395.
The camera, lenses and accessories are scheduled to be in stores worldwide by May 26.

I find the pricing of the camera to be quite aggressive on Leica's part. The lenses seem steep, but if they perform as they initially appear to, then I don't think many will complain. No Leica lens is ever bargain priced.

To save you doing the math, a body, both new lenses, and the EVF together will cost a cool $5,145. But if you just go for the body and zoom you'll be looking at $3,600. Still pricey, but compared to the fixed lens Leica X-Vario when it came out less than a year ago at $2,850, not so bad, especially when you consider that the Leica T has interchangeable lenses, and the "24-70mm" equivalent zoom has increased in speed a half stop from the X-Vario's deal-killing f/6.4 minimum aperture to a seemingly more acceptable f/5.6 at the long end."

So... about the same as a refurb D4s body. Hmmm... I think I'll stick to an all Nikon stable for a while longer!

So... about the same as a refurb D4s body. Hmmm... I think I'll stick to an all Nikon stable for a while longer!

As Reichmann said when he was invited to examine the new Leica in New York City:

"At my New York meeting with Leica I said at one point that just based on looks and "feel" alone this is the type of objet desiré that a wealthy traveler might see in an airport duty free boutique window and buy on impulse. Have you ever noticed how many expensive watches are found in those stores? Yup, the Leica T will appeal to the same demographic that buys a $5,000 watch at a duty free store while traveling abroad, when they might not do so when at home. It's just the psychology of money and travel, and Leica is likely to benefit from it with the T. I feel that Leica has hit this particular nail right on the head. "

So...it's more for really wealthy world travelers, and the kind of monied buyers who'll drop 5k on a impulse item, you know, to make themselves feel better when they are in an airport... lol

Leica does appear to have created a very Apple-like, ultra-chic, smooth, metal and glass, very 21st Century type of camera. Clearly, it's a departure from their earlier failed effort with the X...maybe they've been studying Apple's success with hiring first-rate design firms instead of doing it in-house and just producing yet another regurgitation of an earlier effort. It is extremely attractive, and Ming Thein's comparing it to the Apple iPhone's ultra-simple camera ethos is telling. This thing really does look like a good *camera*. Plus, since it is a Leica, it will also make a fabulous necklace.

The Hollywood actor set has recently taken to wearing Leicas as necklaces (for the ladies), and as bandoliers for the gentlemen. You know, while out walking in L.A..

If you're looking for optimal bang for the money, the only camera with which Leica can compete with everybody else ist the Leica S. And maybe the Leica M.

For anything cheaper, nope. You'll need mass production to make this stuff cheap enough, and Leica isnt big enough for competing with the likes of Sony, Canon or Nikon in that area.

Seems to me no different than paying $2000 for a framing hammer because it's got an ermine covered handle or some such foolsihness.

Interview with Stefan Daniel and Alfred Schopf from Leica | Leica News & Rumors

Leica received "very nice" amount of orders for the Leica T
Good for them, not interested myself though. The Leica M, M-E, M Monochrom or S would be of interest to me if I had the budget, but alas, since my financial ressources are a bit more limited, I'll rather wait and examine the market further.

Leica produces around 1000 film cameras per year, 60% of them are sold in Japan
Haha, the japanese buy our german cameras, and we germans buy japanese cameras. I guess I could live with that, lol.

Here you go....44:25 of a Leica employee hand-polishing a new Leica T....not kidding...over forty-five minuites' worth of video of one man, sanding and polishing a Leica T body...

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back