NEW CAMERA NEED HELP CANON 7D

foster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:blushing: OK I am new to photography and i'm getting my new camera and two new lens FRIDAY!!! I was wondering remember i'm very new lol will my camera blurr the background automatically or will i need to photoshop that?

With the proper settings, your camera will do that.

You can also photoshop it to do it, but it'll most likely look like crap.

Do a google search for "Exposure Triangle." That should help you get started to understanding how to get the desired affect.

EDIT: Decided to be more helpful. :p

NEW CAMERA NEED HELP CANON 7D
SHOUT IT OUT FOSTER!

You blur the background, with the lens settings and shot set up. It's not really the camera that does it, the camera just records it.

The technique is called 'Selective Focus' as is all about controling the Depth-Of-Field.

Here is a great tutorial for you to study: Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

If you mail your camera to me, I will use it for free for a number of years, and then send it back to you with a fully written guidebook explaining all the features :D

Um, just so theres no confusion, I'm kidding ;)

You're getting a 7D? what lenses are you getting?

Google "Depth of Field" That will answer your immediate question. Then go read the manual for your camera. I'm not being a snob, I'm saying you need to read the manual. Everything is in it.

What it boils down to is the camera doesn't DO anything unless YOU make it do what you want it to do. You could definitely accidentally get the blurred or bokeh in the background.
You are going to have a HUGE learning curve on your new camera to master making it do all of those neat things-the good news is that it's fun and definitely something you can educate yourself on.
Here is a great start in tutorials and information for the newbie: Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
There are many many many more out there! As you begin to learn and have questions just ask. There is a lot of us here and usually someone is around to answer!

:blushing: OK I am new to photography and i'm getting my new camera and two new lens FRIDAY!!! I was wondering remember i'm very new lol will my camera blurr the background automatically or will i need to photoshop that?

I'm fairly new to photography with DSLRs, and am also using a 7D. I found the following to to be *extremely* helpful (besides reading these forums, and every link posted on every tutorial I can find!)

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure"
David Busch's "Canon EOS 7D Guide to Digital SLR Photography"

Other than that, shoot often. A lot. review your pictures, review the books and forums, and see what you can improve in the pictures.

As for the immediate question, well lots of others have answered that ... It has to do with how the aperture setting, distance to your focused subject, and focal length all come together.

Good luck, happy shooting, and have fun!

Kevin

There are many many many more out there! As you begin to learn and have questions just ask. There is a lot of us here and usually someone is around to answer!

And some of the people that answer are actually helpful. In other cases ...... not so much! Some of the answers I've seen are quite sarcastic and condescending. Granted, there are times when the question seemingly BEGS for a sarcastic answer, but more often than not people just don't know. In those cases the old "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" rule might apply.

I have a 7D as well and love it. I actually bought the "Canaon 7D for dummies manual". Loved it, read most of it before I got the camera which helped a lot. All the info you glean from books on exposure and this forum will not do any good if you are unable to navigate through the settings on your camera (and there are a lot of buttons ;-). ). Have fun and like the above post shoot lots of pics, best way to learn.

Also, don't forget to read the manual. There is a lot of useful information in there.

Do a google search for "Exposure Triangle." That should help you get started to understanding how to get the desired affect.

Hi,

My friend has the same question. He has the same camera as him (the thread starter) and the background doesn't blur which he wants to be blur. This is more on focusing right?

You're getting a 7D? what lenses are you getting?

Google "Depth of Field" That will answer your immediate question. Then go read the manual for your camera. I'm not being a snob, I'm saying you need to read the manual. Everything is in it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi,

My friend has the same question. He has the same camera as him (the thread starter) and the background doesn't blur which he wants to be blur. This is more on focusing right?
In so far as the depth of the area in the scene that is acceptably in focus is a function of:

The lens focal length.
The focus point distance from the image sensor.
The distance the focus point is from the background.
And what the lens aperture is.

All of that, and the image sensor size, is what determine the focus "depth-of-field" (DoF). Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

There are online DoF calculators like - Online Depth of Field Calculator

There are many other technical aspects to doing photography. Here is a really good group of tutorial - Digital Photography Tutorials

DoFGradient.jpg

ShallowDoF.jpg

Last edited:

Hi,

Read what KMH posted for a very good, and detailed explanation. The basic explanation is that there are many factors that help to decide whether a background will be blurred or not. Have your friend try this, so that he can master at least one aspect of whether the background is blurred.

Set the camera on a tripod, and set it to Aperture Priority (check the manual on how to do this if you're not sure how). Find a scene that has objects throughout the depth of field, from within feet of the lens, out to miles away. Pick a single focal point (preferably something relatively close, maybe 20-30 feet out). Once that is set, change the lens to manual focus (so the lens doesn't attempt to change the focal point). Now, using the control wheel, set the aperture to f/22. Take a photo. Now, open the aperture to f/16, and take a picture. Open it again to f/11, take a picture. Do this with aperture settings f/8, f/5.6, f4. If the lens can go further than that (unlikely unless using a fast prime, or 'L' series lens), try it with that. Now load up those photos and view them on a computer screen. You should see that the photos taken at f/22 should have most, of not the entire scene in focus. And as the aperture gets wider (smaller number), less and less is in focus. Aperture is the primary way to control depth of field for most people. Experiment with it to see what you can do.

Most reactions

Back