New Camera + Variable Sun day = pictures...

Azurite180

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just bought my t3i two days ago. It's been awful waiting for the rain to stop. Even though it was alternately bright sun and clouds (with wind) today, I just had to get outside and play with the new camera. Playing with the Monochrome B/W setting and kit lens, I took these. Critiques welcomed.

I really like the way the sun came through some of the flaking bark in this shot. Same shot, two versions (full size and cropped) [55mm f/8 1/400 ISO800]

$Riverbirch bark.jpg $riverbirch bark2.jpg

Benches uncropped [49mm f/9 1/200 ISO100]

$benches.jpg

Lattice uncropped. There's no real focal point here, but I liked the way the sunlight hit the clover in the foreground and shadow under the lattice. [55mm f/5.6 1/250 ISO 800]

$lattice.jpg

Birdbath uncropped. [55mm f/8 1/20 ISO 100]

$birdbath.jpg

Goatsbeard flower [41mm f/5 1/1250 ISO 800] Background is a little busy. I would have liked more blur (bokeh?)

$BW Goatsbeard.jpg

Rolling in the clover. Just playing with DOF and backgrounds here. [55mm f/10 1/20 ISO 100]

$clover.jpg

Globe onion seedheads. Taken against a white fence. [41mm f/5 1/1250 ISO 800]

$globe onion.jpg

Ford 800 Trying to get DOF here (needs more blur) and really liked the way the light hit the chroming. Wish I could have stepped it down even more. Really want to get a macro lens. [43mm f/5 1/250 ISO 800]

$Ford 800.jpg

Honeysuckle. Playing with DOF and contrast. [55mm f/22 1/13 ISO 800]

$Honeysuckle.jpg

Keep it up. Your composition and subject need to be more thought out. Nothing of interest really stands out in any of them - but you are on the right track.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Could you clarify a little bit on 'subject need to be more thought out'? Do you mean make the focal point more dynamic/clear or choose different objects altogether?

I like closeup/macro work on flowers (and bees/butterflies), architectural details with interesting lines and food, though I understand others might find them boring beyond bearing. Should I aim for more abstract/artsy when using B/W?

Most reactions

Back