New Camera, what to buy??

cogi59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so here's my situation. I currently have a 50d, I love it and have taken some great shots with it.. but I feel like I need to upgrade. I don't have a ton of money to free up, maybe about $1000 or so, plus whatever I can get for my 50d.

I've been looking at 5d mk1's, 5d mk2's, and 1ds mk2's

5d mk2 and 1ds mk2 would both just fit into my budget (I have a sigma 70-200 2.8 that I'm gonna sell as well) and the 5d would give me a little breathing room to save towards some glass... so what should I do?

I do a lot of studio work, with a lot of florals actually.. I do a lot of artwork with my photographs as well (you can see this on my website) but also getting into some landscape work as well. Don't really have any need for video at the moment either.

I feel like I could definitely benefit from a FF camera, but just thought I would see what everyone here thought first before I make a real decision.

Thanks!

(btw.. lenses I currently have are canon 17-40Lf4, 50f1.4, and the 100macro, I also have a sigma 70-200 2.8 II which I'm thinking I'm gonna sell since I don't use it too much with what I'm doing right now.. so hopefully that's another $700 or so into my budget.)

All 3 are great really. All would do very well in the studio. I think this is going to come down to personal preference. I own the 5DII and love it. The pro bodies are much nicer to use though, in my opinion. The 5D original still takes excellent photos and would give you more wiggle room money wise. Tough choice. I would lean towards 1DsII or 5DII if money is not a problem.

All 3 are great really. All would do very well in the studio. I think this is going to come down to personal preference. I own the 5DII and love it. The pro bodies are much nicer to use though, in my opinion. The 5D original still takes excellent photos and would give you more wiggle room money wise. Tough choice. I would lean towards 1DsII or 5DII if money is not a problem.

I have been leaning towards those two as well.. I actually have a pretty good deal on a used 5dII from a pro in my area, so I think I might go that route. What would be the pros and cons between the 5d2 and 1Ds2?

Hey guys,

So I got my gear sold and I think I've decided on the 1ds2.
I don't have the need for video and the weatherproofing + faster autofocus are pluses for me with the 1ds2 (plus I can get one for a few hundred less than a 5d2 :) )

There isn't anyone selling one here in Vancouver at the moment, so I thought I'd take a look at ebay. Seems like there's some good listings on right now (lower feedback and 100% positive makes me feel like its more legit for some reason). I've bought plenty on ebay before but never photo equipment, so as it's a pretty big purchase for me, I was hoping that you guys could take a look at the following listings and let me know what you think! It will be much appreciated!

Canon EOS 1Ds mark II - eBay (item 170459750246 end time Mar-22-10 13:27:04 PDT)

Canon 1Ds Mark II Body 16.7 Megapixel - eBay (item 260569945647 end time Mar-23-10 07:06:23 PDT)

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II 16.7 Megapixel + extra battery - eBay (item 270549315139 end time Mar-25-10 17:05:07 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1) - only 3 transactions on the seller. $83 for shipping? I would also ask what else is included; battery and charger?

2) - only 2 transactions on the seller. 2 days left at $1700... what is your budget?

3) - I generally avoid overseas transactions. PITA to go after the person if you get scammed. 4 days left at $1500+.. what is your budget? I like this one because (assuming it is true) it is a studio camera.

1) - only 3 transactions on the seller. $83 for shipping? I would also ask what else is included; battery and charger?

2) - only 2 transactions on the seller. 2 days left at $1700... what is your budget?

3) - I generally avoid overseas transactions. PITA to go after the person if you get scammed. 4 days left at $1500+.. what is your budget? I like this one because (assuming it is true) it is a studio camera.

Thanks,

I was thinking the 3rd one as well (even though it is in australia) my budget is pretty open, but probably don't want to go over 2100-2200. AHhhh why's there gotta be so many scammers on ebay haha would make things a lot more comfortable and easier !

Purchasing from Adorama is not a bad choice at all.
Calumet, KEH (my personal fav.) and even shutterblade on e-bay are all good.
Stay away from the shops that promise 500-1000 less in price.

I have a 1ds Mk1, and you well definatly love the camera.. It is VERRY heavy at first, but after a while youll think other cameras are toys...lol have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back