new camera

mikeatpriestlake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking to purchase my first Digital slr camera. I am not new to photography, just dslrs. !

Go to some places where you can lay hands on actual cameras. Get an idea of how they feel in your hand and how comfortable you are reaching the various controls. Once you find a brand that feels good to you then look for features and models with prices. Once you've found the most that you can afford do some more research on the Forums to see if any comments jump out to you.
If money is no object I can't help since I've never been there!!

If limited on funds then get the Nikon D3300 with its kit lens, you can add later more lenses as you learn more.
If you have more money then the Nikon D5300 or Nikon D5500 are the next step up, still a beginners cameras but quite powerful tools.
The D3300 would be all that a novice needs and more, in any case all these cameras will be excellent for you.

Good luck

Mike,

Do you have:

1) A budget in mind?

2) A particular use or type of photography you'd like to do with this camera?

I ask because before diving into the camera models, understanding what you want to do with the camera will help narrow the choices to the sort of camera that might fit your needs. E.g. if you wanted a camera for portraits, landscapes, architecture, or other photography where the subject isn't moving quickly then most any camera can handle that. If you wanted a camera for action photography (sports, wildlife, etc.) then the focus system and shooting speed might become higher priorities and some mid-level or above cameras might be better.

DSLRs come in "entry" level ranges which are great cameras and affordable. There are mid-range cameras that cost a bit more. There are pro bodies that cost a lot more.

If you can answer those two questions above, members here can probably steer you into something a bit more specific to your needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back