new camera

smurfette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,I'm a beginner. I have been using a samsung compact camera. Looking to upgrade. But do not have a clue what to go for. Any advise will be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you☺

Hi,I'm a beginner. I have been using a samsung compact camera. Looking to upgrade. But do not have a clue what to go for. Any advise will be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you☺
A lot depends on your budget and what sort of pictures your wanting to take

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

I would love to be able to take pics of the moon.I don't really know the budget as my husband is getting it for xmas

I would love to be able to take pics of the moon.I don't really know the budget as my husband is getting it for xmas

Do you want to take a picture of the moon through a telescope, or take a picture of the moon with a camera lens? If "through a telescope" is your answer then you'll want a camera that allows for removable lenses (e.g. a DSLR camera or a MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera)). Newtonian reflector type telescopes sometimes cannot focus for a DSLR camera (some can, many cannot.) This is because the distance from the camera adapter to the sensor adds about 2" to the focal length of the telescope and many Newtonian type reflectors do not offer enough focus travel to allow the camera to slide forward far enough to bring the image back into focus.

If "through a camera lens" is your answer, a camera with an APS-C size image sensor (most DLSRs and MILC cameras have APS-C size sensors) will provide a fairly large view of the moon (occupying most, but not all, of the image frame) at about 1000mm. If you want images of the moon with other objects (e.g. moon through the trees, or moon rising on the horizon, etc.) then the moon will seem longer with somewhat long focal length lenses -- something in the 400-500mm range would look fairly large, but still leave room for other subjects.

I don't really know the budget as my husband is getting it for xmas
If I'm any judge of husbands, then the sky's the limit.

But seriously, is it $200 or $2,000?

Most reactions

Back