New Canon Rebel T8i and RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS lens

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was bored:

Canon-T8i-T7i-vs-77D.jpg

My scale was the eyepiece glass. I figure they probably wouldn't change that. the new camera looks to be just a little larger than the old ones, and a generally good mix of the features of both. Shape of the top plate is more 77Dish in that it's more squared, the camera is possibly slightly taller. Not quite as nice of controls as the 77D because of the lack of top screen, but the power control is now on the right hand again, so picking up and immediately turning on one handed will be easier.

The flip screen mounting bezel is larger, but I'm not sure that the screen itself is any bigger. It does look like it's better centered under the eyepiece and thus centered behind the sensor though, which might be advantageous for shooting video.

Annotated changes in controls:

Canon-T8i-T7i-vs-77D-colorized.jpg

77D's AF-ON button retained, they've slightly revised the positions of the other buttons, but not so much as to be problematic. AF-on is a slight bit more to the right, but possibly not enough to make it convenient to use if one had a large head/face or is a left-eye shooter.

It looks like the majority of the buttons are now a standard shape, the buttons near the top appear to bulge outward, the lower ones are flat. No more specific button shapes.

Lock switch deleted, image delete button now does double-duty as lock toggle. Wifi button also deleted or possibly relocated to the top or something.

Playback button relocated below the dial.

The dial itself looks to be a lot slimmer. Whether this is good or bad I couldn't say.

I've heard that the level has been removed. I'm not sure if that's the digital on-screen level, the viewfinder level, or both. I have used that feature so this would be mildly annoying, but I suppose a tripod with bubble-levels would make up for it. Mostly I use the viewfinder level but I'm seeming to need it less and less as I gain more experience.

I'm not in the market for another 24MP DSLR, so I won't be buying it, but if I were buying my first DSLR of 24MP I would consider it based on my experiences with the 77D.

Best Buy is now selling it for $899 with 18-55mm IS STM lens, or $749 body-only.

I don't know about you guys but given how prolific kit-lenses are on the used market, I don't think I'd spend $150 for a lens I can buy for as low as $40.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back