New Canon

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by 618photo, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 618photo

618photo TPF Noob!

Hey guys, I've been reading your advise in this forum for a while now. I have a question to pose. I currently have a canon 60d, but I'm in the market for an upgrade. Do I go for the 7d or the 5d mark ii. This is probably a bad question because I'm nearly sold on the 5d so any input is greatly appreciated.

2. timphotos

timphotos TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    7D doesn't seem like much of an upgrade unless your in to sports photography or something very specific to the 7D. 5D is an actual upgrade in terms of image quality.

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    wait for 5DIII... seriously... 60D is decent.

4. 618photo

618photo TPF Noob!

I'd love to wait for the 5d iii but it's rumored to be listed at over $3000. For $1000 less I can have a ii. I'm looking to upgrade from what I have but keep the 60d as a back up.

5. Joey_Ricard

Joey_Ricard TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you say upgrade, what exactly do you mean. What is your 60D not able to do that a 7 or a 5 will do? If you were just talking about the 5, then I would think you want a full frame, but since you mentioned the 7, what are your reasons?

6. 618photo

618photo TPF Noob!

I'm mainly looking at the 5d due to the fact that that it's full frame. The reason I mentioned the 7d is cause of its burst rate. I'm pretty much sold on the 5d I was just looking for a little comparison info.

7. Robin Usagani

Photos OK to edit
    get a 5D classic or 5DIII. Seriously... I am disappointed with my 5D II. If you love video though.. it is awesome. I have 5Dc and 5DII. When the 5D III is here, I will sell the mk 2.

8. 618photo

618photo TPF Noob!

Well I do t really do any video. Can I ask what don't you like about the ii? Reason I'm asking is because it gets such high reviews which is what I was really judging by.

9. Robin Usagani

Photos OK to edit
    The autofocus sucks. I miss so many focus when I do weddings. It sucks. 5Dc is the same way but at least it is a lot cheaper.

5D II is an awesome camera for portrait. If you get into low light photography like weddings.. it blows.

10. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why do you think you need an upgrade? What is your current camera not doing for you? I am guessing it's a matter of learning a few things rather than needing an upgrade. You have an outstanding camera that is still at the top of the market in your hands.
    There isn't that much improvement to jump to the 7D and the 5d2 is full frame, but it downgrades a LOT of other things. I HATE mine most of the time. For the same reason schwetty said. Anything other than the center focus point sucks. It's not bad in low light if you have time to make it focus correctly. It's horrible for focusing and FPS for anything in fast motion. It is truly a wedding and portrait camera and aimed directly at those who are professionals in those two fields.
    If I didn't have a wedding next weekend I want it for, I'd be offering to sell it to you.

11. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You must be doing something wrong because my 5Dmk1 hardly misses anything

12. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I went from a 40D to the 5dmk2 and I really like it. However, I'm not doing low-light, high speed event work like schwetty and mleek are doing. The quality difference is, to me, incredible. Not to mention it makes my favorite lenses more useful to me for what I do. Most of my stuff is lit portraiture and landscape for what it's worth.