New compact camera advice, previousley had DMC-LX7

MrTwitch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photographers! Need a new camera, had this one before which was awesome. Should I buy this again or get some newer technology. Looking for the kind of camera that fits in your pocket that a professional would take out when they couldn't take their SLR. Features I would like is good built in ND filter, be able to get as much bokeh as possible, timer that does something like taking 3 pictures after 10 seconds wait, ability to attach an adapter ringer so we can use third party fish eye lenses or filters. Thanks in advance :) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Review

With the features you want, you'll need a mirrorless system camera.
Good ones are, depending on your budget, the Sony A5100, A6000 and A6300.
With an adapter you can use third party lenses.

Well I was very happy with the DMC-LX5 and it wasn't mirrorless, have you got time to explain the pros of getting a mirrorless? In the mean time Ill check the reviews of the ones you have sent me :).. So far other people have recommended...

X-Pro1 X-Pro1 | Fujifilm United Kingdom
Sony RX100 series

Have you looked through the reviews here? 2016 Roundup: Compact Enthusiast Zoom Cameras

They do a good job of breaking down the pros and cons.

A mirrorless might still be too large for you, although the image quality would be better.

If I were able to choose any pocket size compact, it would be the Sony RX-100 IV. If I could go a little larger but didn't want interchangeable lenses, I'd go with the Panasonic FZ-1000 or Sony RX-10 III.

Maybe Sony RX100 Mk IV

If you want to use third party lenses, you must have the possibility te attach different ones,
wich can not be done with a compact. Also the IQ from this cameras is better
than most compacts, certainly in low light.
The A5100 is not much larger than a compact, as you can see here compared to
the SONY RX100. But that also depends what lens you are using on the A5100.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

Last edited:
The Fuji Pro 1, is also a mirrorless but it's larger the the Sony
A5100 and A6000.
If you don't want a mirrorless , you could take a look at the latest of
the LX series, the Panasonic Lumix LX100. Excellent camera.

Last edited:
great info guys, thanks alot :)

The Panasonic LX100/Leica D-Lux has the timer option you want and a 43mm filter ring. It does not have a built in ND filter but with shutter speeds up to 1/16000 sec you can easily shoot wide open at F1.7 in bright daylight.

The Panasonic LX100/Leica D-Lux has the timer option you want and a 43mm filter ring. It does not have a built in ND filter but with shutter speeds up to 1/16000 sec you can easily shoot wide open at F1.7 in bright daylight.

If it has a 43mm filter ring you should be able to get ND filters for it, they just won't be internal.

If it has a 43mm filter ring you should be able to get ND filters for it, they just won't be internal.

You can, I have some.

Most reactions

Back