New Computer!

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For all you computer lovers and aficionados, I've finished building my new computer, mainly for photo-video editing, music, internet, and a few games. First time building one from individual parts, very fun experience, a lot of the steps learned form my computer science class last year. No crazy liquied cooling or overclocking though. Specs:

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz 6MB cache, 1333 FSB
Motherboard- Asus P5Q-E
Graphics- EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3
RAM- 4GB Corsair @ 800 MHz
Hard drive- 2x 500GB SATA
PSU- 800W
2x 120mm fans
2x Lightscribe DVD burners (all formats)
Internal card reader with FLOPPY
22" LG LCD

Nice. What kind of case do you have it housed in?

I assume the E8400 processor? I love the wolfdales, just bought the 8500 myself :)

Should be a good motherboard, though I had some bad experiences with ASUS, so I stick with MSI, EVGA, DFI, and XFX these days, but if you get a good one, it will serve you well!

That 9600 is way better than it has any right to be at the price...I have two! (SLI) You'll be able to play the most demanding games at moderate resolutions, should you feel like it!

(I've been building my own computers, as well as most of my friends' for almost 10 years now...careful, it's an addiction!)

Nice setup, I built my first computer about a year and a half ago, it's great to be able to choose exactly what you want in it. Reminds me actually, some more RAM wouldn't go amiss in my system, I only have 2Gb at the moment ...

Not bad as far as desktops go. Just my 2cents:

Change to ATI graphics....they own Nvidia.

And go with AMD Turion 64, tri-core, 3Gigs and 4gigs of memory.

And from a lot of computer/network building experience:
For the love of whoever, don't use Asus...they suck. Big. Go with MTI. Trust me, I had more people return machines due to the Asus motherboards dying. But, it's what they wanted.....:meh:

ATI is winning at the very high end, but for price/performance midrange (Keep in mind you can get that 9600 for $60 now), I'd call it equal footing. On the other hand AMD versus Intel at this point...it's no contest. Intel has the performance, the price, the smaller chip die, more compatable boards, and has been proven time and time again better for graphics intensive applications.

I'll agree on the Asus thing. I had a P4P-800 that died on me within a year, it's replacement died in 3 months, and its replacement would randomly lose power and shut down the computer.

Last edited:
Case: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2337810&CatId=1842
Yes, the CPU is the 8400. As for ATI vs. NVIDIA, I think that NVIDIA is much better for the consumer market right now, but ATI would be better for workstation cards. I installed Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and on full specs its amazing. The Asus motherboard is one of their high-end models. I've been satisfied with Asus motherboards so far. As for the OS, Windows XP Proffesional x64 edition. (64 bit).

Cool, looks like you didn't chinse too much on the case! I used crappy cheap cases for years, then finally got myself a decent Cooler Master one...holy crap it is so much better to work in...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back