New D-90

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At last it arrived! After almost a year of research and scrimping (all the neighbors were saving cans for me), the dream came true and I'm over the moon! I'm so new to digital, it's going to take a while to figure everything out and get familiar with the camera, but it seems to be pretty user friendly. Can any D-90 users suggest a good book on how to navigate everything on the D-90 and why? I looked at the Nikon "Digitutor" on their web site and that helped a lot. Any suggestions on video tutorials would be great. The users manual can be a confusing with all the page references. I would have been lost without the members of TPF who were such a great help with research, especially Darrel and KimH for all the technical information. I can't thank you enough.

Just a couple of asides: Yesterday a lady friend came over and I was showing her the 70-300 zoom. I racked it out slowly to show her how long it was and she turned red and said, "Tom, THAT'S obscene!" And, is it true that a frame will automatically delete if you don't yell BOO-YA when you shoot it (as in Ashton Whatzisname in the D-5000 wedding commercial)? Just wondering.

Again, thank you all so much for your help. I hope to start posting photos, but not until I can submit something worthy of C&C.

Tom Beard :lmao: :mrgreen: :confused:

Last edited:
At last it arrived! After almost a year of research and scrimping (all the neighbors were saving cans for me), the dream came true and I'm over the moon! I'm so new to digital, it's going to take a while to figure everything out and get familiar with the camera, but it seems to be pretty user friendly. Can any D-90 users suggest a good book on how to navigate everything on the D-90 and why? I looked at the Nikon "Digitutor" on their web site and that helped a lot. Any suggestions on video tutorials would be great. The users manual can be a confusing with all the page references. I would have been lost without the members of TPF who were such a great help with research, especially Darrel for all the technical information. I can't thank you enough.

Just a couple of asides: Yesterday a lady friend came over and I was showing her the 70-300 zoom. I racked it out slowly to show her how long it was and she turned red and said, "Tom, THAT'S obscene!" And, is it true that a frame will automatically delete if you don't yell BOO-YA when you shoot it (as in Ashton Whatzisname in the D-5000 wedding commercial)? Just wondering.

Again, thank you all so much for your help. I hope to start posting photos, but not until I can submit something worthy of C&C.

Tom Beard :lmao: :mrgreen: :confused:

X2 Got a D90 Friday. Lots of TPF members know their s***

congrats dude!!!!! enjoy it!!!

Congratulations friend! You will definitely enjoy it.

In terms of learning the camera, I personally feel the manual is sufficient. I got a book to learn exposure, but besides that I just researched stuff on the net and here.

Good luck learning the new toy! :eek:)

Tom, go to Amazon and rent the D90 video for a week for a few dollars.......then send me your login so I can watch it again <kidding>. IMO the video is worth the money!

Congrats on your new camera!

nice camera! take many pictures with it and enjoy!

One thing that I do is go over the manual and read the dummies book...but I find myself getting overwhelmed...so every so often I try to read up on a particular aspect of photography or my camera...online in laymans terms lol.....and as I learn more and more I go Back to the book and manual and browse through them again, finding that I understand more of the terms and everything...it helps me to remember and understand everything better.

I have the D80 and I've found the custom menus to be quite valuable. Cameras today are quite complex and there are many settings that, once set, I'll never change. I created custom menus that do not display those settings. Actually, I do occasionally modify these menus but the bottom line is that I'm not routinely faced with a dizzying array of choices.

Magic Lantern Guide for D90. Book contains more 411 but video is decent enough.

This thread might be helpful for me too, I got my D90 a couple weeks ago and it took me a couple days to get adjusted.

Thanks to whoever posted the setup guide! Very useful.

Make sure to read your manual and search videos up on the internet. :lol:

Congrats! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back