New D5500 and D7200 in 2015

Nikon is creating a lot of clutter releasing a new D5x00 every 12 months.
Imagine what the used Nikon DSLR market will look like in 10 years.
You'll need a scorecard to keep track of the all the D5x00 and D3x00 players.

At the current rate Nikon is releasing D5x00 cameras y'all will be posting about D5900 rumors in 2019.
The D5000 was announced in 2009 (April). The D3000 was announced in 2009 too (July).

Nikon sells the vast majority of their cameras in the entry-level DX market segment.
I seriously doubt that FX body sales will ever get anywhere near DX body sales.
I would speculate that Nikon sells thousands more (10's of thousands more?) entry-level D7x00 for each entry-level D6x0 Nikon sells.

It costs about 4x more to make an FX image sensor than to make a DX image sensor, and the image sensor is the single most expensive part in a DSLR camera.
That is the main reason FX bodies have a higher price than DX bodies.
Stuffing a FX sensor into a D7x00 body to create the D600 saved Nikon some scratch initially, but the bad PR the D600 generated probably hurt sales enough to negate the savings.
you know, people keep saying that. And I read it too. But I am wondering if it is just a pile of chit. None of the sensors seem to cost a whole lot. It is like comparing the cheaper quad core computer chip to the more expensive one. the difference might only be a hundred dollars or less. some one could say "well the most expensive thing in your laptop is the computer chip" and technically they could be right but does it really mean a damn thing? Extra hundred dollars for a sensor in a fx camera but the fx camera costs a LOT more than a hundred dollars over a dx. I am starting to call b.s. on the dx fx sensor crap me thinks.......

Sony is doing some serious pricing to put FF cameras in the hands of the masses, more so than Nikon.
Sony is simply trying to get market share.

Nikon, as a company exclusively into optics and photography, simply doesnt have the freedom to price this aggressively.

At all the consumer stores - Target, Meijers, Walmart etc I only see d3x00 and d5x00 and their other cameras and competitors there. Nah a higher end DX nor FX body there. No sense in wasting the display space for cameras that sell at very low volumes if at all at those stores.

Funny but FutureShop--a BestBuy-owned Canadian chain--sells D7xxx and D6xx/D8xx bodies off the pedestals next to the
D3xxx/5xxx kits. They seem to be giving some grief to the old school camera stores around Toronto, especially during this holiday season. Nikon Canada just wants to move merch.
Bestbuy here also has higher end bodies.

I stopped by the other day and they have the d7100, d610, d750 - they used to have the d800 on display too. For canon they had the 5dm3 display (though the camera was absent) , 7d2 (display but absent) and then the lower end for Nikon/Canon.

But all the "general" stores only carry the d3x00 and d5x00. Bestbuy has a larger display broken into segments than any of the general stores. They seem to have every P&S, mirrorless etc available.

Last edited:
I hear the d5600 is going to have an all new strap! Personally I am holding out for the D5700 as rumors has it will have an all new lens cap.

Do you guys think this will drop the price of the D750 then? Currently those are sitting at a pretty $2400

Sony is doing some serious pricing to put FF cameras in the hands of the masses, more so than Nikon.
Sony is simply trying to get market share.

Nikon, as a company exclusively into optics and photography, simply doesnt have the freedom to price this aggressively.

If/when they roll out FX/DX MILCs, I expect Nikon prices to come down.

More rumors:
Nikon D7200 rumored specifications | Nikon Rumors

Here are the rumored Nikon D7200 specifications:

• New 24MP APS-C sensor
  • Nikon D750 styled body with a tilting screen
  • Expeed 4 processor
  • MultiCAM 3500DX2 autofocus system
  • 51 AF points
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • 6fps
  • Buffer: 16 RAW+JPG
  • Video: 1080p @60 and 720p @120 (not sure about 4k)
  • Video aperture will be adjustable during live view
  • Expected announcement in the first few months of 2015
If those specifications are correct (I am still not sure), the D7200 will not be a professional level camera - just an incremental D7100 update, something like the D750 in a DX format. This still leaves hope for a real D300 replacement.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: Nikon D7200 rumored specifications | Nikon Rumors

More rumors:
Nikon D7200 rumored specifications | Nikon Rumors

Here are the rumored Nikon D7200 specifications:

• New 24MP APS-C sensor
  • Nikon D750 styled body with a tilting screen
  • Expeed 4 processor
  • MultiCAM 3500DX2 autofocus system
  • 51 AF points
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • 6fps
  • Buffer: 16 RAW+JPG
  • Video: 1080p @60 and 720p @120 (not sure about 4k)
  • Video aperture will be adjustable during live view
  • Expected announcement in the first few months of 2015
If those specifications are correct (I am still not sure), the D7200 will not be a professional level camera - just an incremental D7100 update, something like the D750 in a DX format. This still leaves hope for a real D300 replacement.

I like the idea of twisty-tilty-screen.
I like the idea of the D750/D810 AF..
I love the idea of built in WiFi.
120fps @ 720p is OK (why no 1080p@120?!)

However...

If it doesn't support UHS-II memory cards i'll pass.

D7200 sounds really what the D7100 should have been right from the start, the D7100 has one main flaw and that a small 6 frames buffer, with such an improved buffer this will be a much more rounded up tool.
Tilty screen is nice mostly for video but I guess for stills its nice too, been using mine from time to time and actually enjoy it.
I am assuming with the Expeed 4 you will be able to use it with 12800ISO in its native range and get slightly better low light performance to the already very good low light performance the D7100 is offering, looks like a nice upgrade, nothing ground breaking but a nice added refreshment.

D7200 sounds really what the D7100 should have been right from the start, the D7100 has one main flaw and that a small 6 frames buffer, with such an improved buffer this will be a much more rounded up tool.
Tilty screen is nice mostly for video but I guess for stills its nice too, been using mine from time to time and actually enjoy it.
I am assuming with the Expeed 4 you will be able to use it with 12800ISO in its native range and get slightly better low light performance to the already very good low light performance the D7100 is offering, looks like a nice upgrade, nothing ground breaking but a nice added refreshment.
and people said that the d7100 is what the d7000 should have been to begin with ....

For those wanting more, it's NOT enough
For those wanting just a great camera, it's perfect.

and people said that the d7100 is what the d7000 should have been to begin with ....

For those wanting more, it's NOT enough
For those wanting just a great camera, it's perfect.

Having spent some quality time with a 7DmkII recently... my fear will be people saying this:

"For those wanting more, the Canon 7DmkII is a better option"
"For those wanting just a great camera, the D5500 is cheaper"

A 16 shot raw buffer is great, but i'm not going to lie.. The buffer on the 7DmkII made me giggle-out-loud (and it took a good picture).

Having spent some quality time with a 7DmkII recently... my fear will be people saying this:

A 16 shot raw buffer is great, but i'm not going to lie.. The buffer on the 7DmkII made me giggle-out-loud (and it took a good picture).
But the 7dm2 doesn't have a tilty screen !!
:whip:

or the nikon standard DR below 800ISO.

But the 7dm2 doesn't have a tilty screen !!
:whip:
The main problem with the 7D II is its price, for 1900$ I personally would rather go with the D610, dont need such high FPS and or huge buffer.

Most reactions

Back