New England Sea Smoke this AM

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this is not something you see too often around Southern New England. There was only one day last year with good sea-smoke, and this years show was this morning. It's been frigid since Friday, but this morning the temp was -10, with windchills below -30 on the shoreline. I was up early, and at Point Judith lighthouse by about 6. Found a spot to set up, and started shooting.

The pre-sunrise light was amazing

RSP_0127 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

RSP_0171 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

I was bundled up in so many layers, but ended up being pretty comfortable. My fingers and toes were a bit numb by the time I got back to the car, but it wasn't too bad. Nothing a heated seat and hot air couldn't fix.

RSP_0154 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

The golden color from the sun peaking over the clouds was to die for.

RSP_0283 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

And after all the fun, we went over to Newport and I stopped on the Jamestown Verrazano bridge to snap a few of this little spark-plug.

RSP_0445-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

All in all, I'd call it a successful morning of shooting--the first time back since my camera went for a swim. My gear seemed to perform just fine, although the VC or AF made a high pitched whine once or twice, but I assume that's from the oil inside the lens becoming viscous in the extreme cold.

Best,
Jake

Nice shots! How did you end up making out with your insurance?

Nice shots! How did you end up making out with your insurance?

Thanks! The insurance company was great, and the repairs actually cost just a bit more than my deductible, so I ended up opting to pay outright rather than make a claim.

Best,
Jake

Bumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

154 is sweet, the bird really makes it. Congrats on the good insurance.

The last picture is clearly my favorite. In my opinion it has it has the best composition, and is also where things are happening. You really sense what sea smoke is, and see how intens it is. I would really like to see this picture in color, is it an option?

The last picture is clearly my favorite. In my opinion it has it has the best composition, and is also where things are happening. You really sense what sea smoke is, and see how intens it is. I would really like to see this picture in color, is it an option?

Sadly, that is not an option. This was shot closer to 8:30, after sunrise, and the sun was high enough that the color was really dull and washed out. The conversion really brought out the intensity and contrast in the image. Thanks for the kind words :)

Best,
Jake

Sadly, that is not an option. This was shot closer to 8:30, after sunrise, and the sun was high enough that the color was really dull and washed out. The conversion really brought out the intensity and contrast in the image. Thanks for the kind words :)

Best,
Jake

Ah I see. But it defiantly looks great in BW!

Watch out for Kraken

Most reactions

New Topics

Back