New flash

Zrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a new 430ex II flash for xmas for my T1i. For al my xmas photos i used the auto setting on both the flash and camera just to avoid any bad pic's since this was my baby girls first christmas. I noticed that alot of the pic had a excess amound of noise in them and i had to max out the noise correction in DPP to clear it up. Not all the pics were bad i would say 2 out of 10 needed heavy reduction. When i was snaping pics i would always try to take 2 of the same thing. It seemed one would have noise and one would not. I never noticed this before adding the flash. For most of my shots i was bouncing the flash mostly straight up to try and brighten up the backgrounds. Just curious as to what might have caused this.

when you bounce flash, depending on your metering mode (which you don't control in Auto) camera might boost the iso and not out enough light. chances are you've seen the noise in shadow.
To fix this, FORGET green exists, lower ISO, add more juice to flash.
good luck

when you bounce flash, depending on your metering mode (which you don't control in Auto) camera might boost the iso and not out enough light. chances are you've seen the noise in shadow.
To fix this, FORGET green exists, lower ISO, add more juice to flash.
good luck

ya i was just thinking the same thing. When i got looking at the Iso it way up at 1600 on auto for most pic's. I was also thinking with using it as a bounce flash the flash will not see that im zoomed in on something if that would affect it to?

Also teh noise was not as bad as i thought i wasent letting the pics fully load on it seemed to be taking a while to fully load them i guess.

I zoomed in on a few pics and noticed i had some actuall dust in the shots. Pulled the lens off and can see some crap on the morror. Tryed to blower and it removed some but not all. How do i go about cleaning the morror? When i got the camera i got a 1/2 dicent cleaning kit. Would i be able to glean it better with the cotton swabs dampened with the cleaning soulution?

Well was playing around today and took a few shots and figured i would upload one for you to see the noise i was talking about. Im pretty sure its just due to bouncig the flash and high iso do to shooting in auto. This picture i was about 2 feet away at most and was bouncing the flash just above her head towards the wall/ceiling behind her. I also probably should be using my other lens so im more than a few feet away. One thing i did learn today on some other shots what how to set the flash exposure and found a -1 was pretty good for most shots...
DPP_0528.jpg

File Name IMG_1399.CR2
Camera Model Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.0
Shooting Date/Time 29/12/2010 2:09:11 AM
Shooting Mode Creative Auto
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/60
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 1600
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Focal Length 36.0mm
Image Size 4752x3168
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation 0
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off
High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Standard
Highlight tone priority 0:Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer 0:Standard
Peripheral illumination correction Enable
Dust Delete Data No
File Size 20254KB
Drive Mode Single shooting
Live View Shooting OFF
Date/Time(UTC)

One thing that is confusing the heck out of me is when i put the camera on manual and have the ISO set at 400 Aperature at 5.6 the exposure compensation tells me to set the shutter speed at 0"6 now this is way to slow for taking a pic of a moving baby. If i ignore the camera and bring my shutter speed up to 1/60 the pic turns out fine or way better than the blury one the camera told me to take. I have tryed the same thing at iso 100 and 200. The pictures im taking are in a fairly well lit room and with the flash. Everything i have read to this point always has a aperture someware between 5.6 and 11 unless you are looking for a specific shot. Seems like i had less problems and better pictures before i started reading haha

Don't see any noise really. Maybe its b/c I'm too tired.

When you bounce flash, usually you have to add more power. If in TTL mode, then it depends on your metering mode (1/3-full stop).

There are cleaning kits out there. For me, if its on the mirror, skrew it. Its psychological and nothing more. If on Sensor, I'm sending it to Nikon.

i cleaned out the camera and actually took it to where i bought it. They checked it over and said everything was good and clean in it.

The pictures tend to show way less noise when converted to JPG the one above had lots of noise in the background on the toys when i looked at it in the raw format

i cleaned out the camera and actually took it to where i bought it. They checked it over and said everything was good and clean in it.

The pictures tend to show way less noise when converted to JPG the one above had lots of noise in the background on the toys when i looked at it in the raw format

You took the camera back because you don't know how to use it :lol:
and had it checked out :lol: thats got to be best post of the day

You took the camera back because you don't know how to use it :lol:
and had it checked out :lol: thats got to be best post of the day

No actually i took it back to get them to look at the mirror as i though their was some dust on it that i could not get off with the blower and did not want to take a chance of scratching it. But i guess i was just seeing some reflection from something higher up in the camera.. hehe

Most reactions

Back