New + Frist SLR - Equestrian Pics + CC Welcome

Agfa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought my first SLR - SONY A200 with both 30-70mm lens + 70 - 300mm lens!

Still getting to grips with camera and learning how to improve my photos but here are some that I have taken in the past few days :D

Nothing wonderfull atm but all CC welcome as want to improve :D

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

P5240534.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

P5240572.jpg

Glass wine if you got this far :mrgreen:

Some of them look a little blurry to me and the cropping is awkward in some. The last one creeps me out for some reason :p The second to the last has the best color imo.

As someone who shoots a lot of equine images I can offer only one, and what I think is the best piece of advice.

Don't shoot images like the other 8 billion other people who photograph horses.... ;) Find different angles, try off lighting... etc. When I took my first horsey shots, I thought they were great, and they were technically good, then someone I know who's been photographing horses for like 30 years, says, 'yes, they're nice, they look like every other horse photo on the web and in most publications'. She was right, I went and had a good look around for a couple of days, what an eye opener.

It is hard to avoid sometimes, but even just lowering the camera by a foot can make a big difference in most shots.

This wasn't meant to be harsh or anything, just hoping to save you a lot of plain looking photos that you'll look over one day and go, 'geeze, ya these are pretty dull!' :mrgreen:

In saying that, number 4 is nice, interesting. :thumbup:

You had some great subject matter to work with, but I am not digging the really tight headshot crops myself.

The second one is clearly the best in my opinion. It reminds me of a Tim Flach shot, you should look at his work and get some ideas.

Most reactions

Back