New Gear and a big THANKS!

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Everyone loves new gear! And I also wanted to thank everyone for helping me to pick the best tripod for this set up. The package arrived and contained:

Canon 600mm f/4 IS
Wimberley gimble head II
Wimberley P50 plate
Gitzo 5541LS
Canon drop in circular polarizer
Lens Coat cover in camo

First impressions.....this thing is huge! I expected big, but dang! But perhaps the biggest shock was the beefy Gitzo. This tripod is a monster. I think you could darn near use it as a jackstand under an automobile while changing your oil! LOL

So, thanks to those that pointed me in the right direction with the tripod and head. I really appreciate you helping me get it right the first time.

Derrick

Forgive the "snapshot pics please. My wife had to take the photos and she hates using a camera. That would be me with the permanent grin!

That front protective glass is nearly the size of my head!

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Holy Crap!!!! That's a big MF'er!!!

Congrats to you!!

I bet you could see the Needle in Seattle from your house!!!

Just point that thing north and I'm sure you can see me wave in your direction. Nice outfit, Camera, lens and tripod.

Great stuff. Congratulation. I am sure you will enjoy it quite a bit. Now let me help you spend a few more dollars since I am assuming you will be doing some wild life stuff with it. :D

First, get the strobe off the camera an onto this. F-9 Wimberley Head Version II flash bracket.
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Telephoto Flash Brackets

Then add one of these.
Visual Echoes | FX3 Better Beamer for Canon 580EX & | FX3

Don't forget lens coats in your favorite camo pattern along with leg coats in camo.
Canon Covers - LensCoatTM Canon 600 LensCoat
Tripods - LegCoatTM Gitzo GT5540LS/GT5541LS LensCoat

And do not forget one of each of these.
http://www.pearlsflowers.com/images/products/roses111.jpg
http://www.valentine-clipart.com/candy_card_large.jpg

I think you know what the last two are for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would congratulate you, but my mouth won't stop watering. Seriously though, nice setup, enjoy it.

Great stuff. Congratulation. I am sure you will enjoy it quite a bit. Now let me help you spend a few more dollars since I am assuming you will be doing some wild life stuff with it. :D

First, get the strobe off the camera an onto this. F-9 Wimberley Head Version II flash bracket.
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Telephoto Flash Brackets

Then add one of these.
Visual Echoes | FX3 Better Beamer for Canon 580EX & | FX3

Don't forget lens coats in your favorite camo pattern along with leg coats in camo.
Canon Covers - LensCoatTM Canon 600 LensCoat
Tripods - LegCoatTM Gitzo GT5540LS/GT5541LS LensCoat

And do not forget one of each of these.
http://www.pearlsflowers.com/images/products/roses111.jpg
http://www.valentine-clipart.com/candy_card_large.jpg

I think you know what the last two are for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, I have the better beamer and that flash mount already on my wish list. I should have just ordered them since they took enough off of my order (discounted some when I asked them over the phone) to get both, but it was a tall enough order already! LOL

I did get the lens coat and just finished putting it on. There are a couple of things that erk me a little. The lens can't be stowed in the hard case with the P50 plate mounted on the foot. That sucks. I am undecided about the fit of the lens coat in at the switch area too.

Thanks for the "extra" links................LOL

Nice setup ...Makes my 400 f/2.8 look kinda small:lol:
IMG_0505.jpg

Me005copy.jpg

I very seriously considered that lens. Can you put yours in the hard case with the plate on?

Yes you just need to rotate the lens so the leg is about 10 deg. to perpendiculer.

Yes you just need to rotate the lens so the leg is about 10 deg. to perpendiculer.

Still won't work with mine as my plate extends too much to the rear of the foot. Guess I'll start saving up for a soft case. Dang, this hobby is never ending...

Thanks, I have the better beamer and that flash mount already on my wish list. I should have just ordered them since they took enough off of my order (discounted some when I asked them over the phone) to get both, but it was a tall enough order already! LOL

I did get the lens coat and just finished putting it on. There are a couple of things that erk me a little. The lens can't be stowed in the hard case with the P50 plate mounted on the foot. That sucks. I am undecided about the fit of the lens coat in at the switch area too.

Thanks for the "extra" links................LOL

That is why I would have gone with this. AP-602
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Replacement Feet for Large Lenses

I have it on my 400 f2.8 and it works great. Lowers the foot mount by about 1&1/2" if I remember correctly. Fits the case fine, plus there is no foot to worry about.

Forgot to mention. One of these is real nice for your shoulder.
http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#SHOULDER SAVER TRIPOD PAD

Hey that quick camo throwover blind is something that looks pretty usefull.

That said I wanted to bump this back up because that 600 mounted on a tripod just looks so cool!!!!

Hey now how about some first shots ? !!!!!

*bookmarks thread for next time I want to buy something and need proof I could be spending a lot more money on my hobby*

Fantastic.

I'm looking around for this one:

1200-1700 without a TC... lol

MF Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6~8.0s P ED IF

That is not a Man's Lens. Nikon does not make a Man's Lens. It is a sissy lens. This.....now this is a Man's Lens.

tv5200cat.jpg

5200 mm 1:14
Dimensions Length: 1290mm (hood 390mm)
Wide: 500x600mm
Weight: 100kg

This lens will take a photograph of an object 23-32 Miles away. Now you are taliking about a MAN"s lens.

Even GITZO can't support this lens. :lol:

Most reactions

Back