What's new

New Glass!

skiboarder72

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
2,111
Reaction score
82
Location
Greenville, SC
After going back and forth between getting this lens or just skipping it and waiting until I can afford (and am strong enough for) a 70-200mm f2.8. I decided to go with the 85mm. First, the quality is just as good, if not better than the 70-200mm. Second, its one and a third stops faster than a 2.8. Thirdly, its about 1/4th the price of a 70-200mm. Fourth, its about 1/4th the weight of a 70-200mm. Granted it can't zoom, but with 12mp, a crop is always an option.

DSC_7832.jpg


I have been a big fan of my 50mm f1.8 lens for a long time. It is light, compact, cheap, and yields some of the most beautiful images I've taken. The only problem with it is that during events and weddings I have to get up pretty close to the action. The 85mm gives me that extra reach that lets me capture the moment without disturbing it.

DSC_7837.jpg

f/16

DSC_7835.jpg

f/2.8

DSC_7836.jpg

f/1.8

Couple Sample Shots:

DSC_7866.jpg


DSC_7853.jpg


DSC_7732.jpg


DSC_7748.jpg
 
I'm intersted how the lens ends up working for you. For now I'm sticking with the 50mm, but I definitely feel your pain as far as having to walk closer all the time.
 
Definitely a lens I'd like to have. Beautiful bokeh on the first couple sample photos. Congrats on the purchase, and have fun with it!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom