New guy here :) I need help :)

driftking2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, my name is driftking2k and I found this site on google when I was searching for a photography/camera forum, because I need some help deciding my first digital camera.

My mom only wants to spend 100-150, but i think I can push her to around 180$.

Ive always liked taking pictures with my friends digital camera's. I dont really know anything about them, other than I researched aperture and shutter priority. I think Apurture is when you take a picture and the background is blurred, which I like.

I want to find the best camera for the money that my mom will spend.

Ive found 4 cameras so far. Different prices and features.
Lumix DMC-LZ8
Kodak Z1285
Canon PowerShot A570 IS
Canon Powershot A590-IS

If you have any other suggestions for a camera please let me know. I want to get the BEST camera for the price range.

Aperture is how open your lens is and how much light it lets in. It does influence how much of the picture is blurred. A large aperture (=small number) will give you a shallow depth of field (= more blur).

In this case, i can only tell you not to go for the Kodak. It is an all automatic camera and it will not let you play with settings like the aperture.

Other than that, i think that the results you will get from those three cameras are pretty similar.

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ1 (I believe). It is a good little P&S.
But, if I were to be getting into a point and shoot now? I'd go for a Canon. Definitely.

About $180 huh? Here ya go:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1615228
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/from-froogle.asp?id=757226024&rf=froogle&dfdate=6_13_2008

At around $180 or so you start getting into the used and refurbished DSLRs at 4 to 6 megapixels. A DSLR is recomended over a point and shoot (P&S). It holds it's value for resale later, it's expandable, and etc.

Here's a nice P&S if that's what you want tho. I have this one (I have a bucket full of P&S cameras. :p actually, a bucket full...)
http://www.electronics-cheapshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=110

good luck.

About $180 huh? Here ya go:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1615228
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/from-froogle.asp?id=757226024&rf=froogle&dfdate=6_13_2008

At around $180 or so you start getting into the used and refurbished DSLRs at 4 to 6 megapixels. A DSLR is recomended over a point and shoot (P&S). It holds it's value for resale later, it's expandable, and etc.

Here's a nice P&S if that's what you want tho. I have this one (I have a bucket full of P&S cameras. :p actually, a bucket full...)
http://www.electronics-cheapshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=110

good luck.

im think im going to go with the canon a570 bundle at walmart, it comes with a printer for cameras too...and it has good ratings ans alot of the features i like...and another thing. I think most of those links you gave me were scams. DSLR for 180? that seller doesnt even have a rating yet so i doubt its legit.

Well, I hate wallmart with a passion myself too. Worst company in the USA and probably most of the world. I've never purchased anything from them or other stores like them but... If you're not all political like I am and you don't mind selling out your fellow American I can't imagine that a Canon printer from wallmart is going to be any different than a Canon printer from any other shop. Right?

Well, I hate wallmart with a passion myself too. Worst company in the USA and probably most of the world. I've never purchased anything from them or other stores like them but... If you're not all political like I am and you don't mind selling out your fellow American I can't imagine that a Canon printer from wallmart is going to be any different than a Canon printer from any other shop. Right?

Hard sayin' really - but I do know that Best Buy and Circuit City tend to have slightly different specs on products (in part to help them avoid the price match guarantee thing). Similarly, I know that there are a number of products that you can buy at Home Depot that come from name brand manufacturers for which you can only get parts at Home Depot. I wouldn't think that Walmart would be above taking advantage of any deal they can get.

I'm not going to go through and check those links to make sure they're "legit." But, I would like to kindly offer my advice: get a used or refurb'd DSLR. Don't waste your money on a package from walmart just because you 'think' you're getting a good buy. Those point and shoot cams, while they may be nice and convenient, aren't very technically flexible.

If anything, buy a used 35mm (film) slr camera. 1) You can save your mommy some money and 2) you'll be able to fuss with the "aper-blur" settings. Pawn shops usually have an abundance, especially in college towns or large cities. Ebay has good deals too.

Sell out, or try creativity: you decide.

I'm not going to go through and check those links to make sure they're "legit." But, I would like to kindly offer my advice: get a used or refurb'd DSLR. Don't waste your money on a package from walmart just because you 'think' you're getting a good buy. Those point and shoot cams, while they may be nice and convenient, aren't very technically flexible.

If anything, buy a used 35mm (film) slr camera. 1) You can save your mommy some money and 2) you'll be able to fuss with the "aper-blur" settings. Pawn shops usually have an abundance, especially in college towns or large cities. Ebay has good deals too.

Sell out, or try creativity: you decide.

Although you can find a DSLR for 200 bucks, you might find the point and shoot superzooms to be more your liking. And believe me, although it seems a little strange to buy photo equipment from a place that isn't a photography store, its okay if you do. Don't let these others give you flak or tell you you're selling out if you do. There are a lot of nifty cameras out there with lenses that are something like a 12x zoom (I have one) or better! They do a little bit of everything you'd want (wildlife, macro, b&w, etc.) without having to make a large investment. If anything it will give you a good "jack of all trades" camera while you figure out what you REALLY want out of photography. You may find out you're totally cool with having that camera and want nothing else, and there's nothing wrong with that. But IMO its better to spend 150-200 on something you may want to upgrade later, than to spend 180 bucks on something that is really going to require $400 to truly appreciate (tele lenses, filters, etc.)

Get her up to about three hundred and get an older film SLR from eBay, a buttload of B&W film, and the gear and chems to develop your own. The learning curve to process your own black and white is like zero to insane and it's fun and rewarding. There's even a forum on this site for just such pursuits. Just my two red pennies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back