new guy lost

omeara_86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi to all I’m new I don’t know much to speak of about photography. I need some help deciding on a camera the decision for me to get a new camera was based on the fact that I am going on vacation soon. I will be going to ST. Lucia and Canada this year to some sport fishing and boating. The camera will be mostly used outside I spend a lot of time hiking and racing. I need a good quality camera with fast shutter speed I am wanting a Nikon that takes high quality pictures (10 mega pixel or higher). I also want to able to swap lenses for long range shots exedra. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh look... this thread again..

What's your budget? I'd say go for a D5000, hell of a camera. It's Nikon, it takes 12.3mp images, it's relatively affordable (well... $670..) and pretty simple to use.

It's not going to do all the work for you though. If you're not fairly proficient with using the manual settings to get a correct exposure, you might as well bring a decent point a shoot camera with you. Not trying to discourage you but having a DSLR makes it more difficult to get a good photo, not the other way around.

If you still want to jump in, good on ya, it's a great hobby. Just be prepared to part with some dough.

Cash is not the problem I was planning on spending around five to seven hundred bucks. I just need some direction. I can handle things being electronically complicated I use to program robots and cnc equipment. Thank you for your advice.

Cash is not the problem I was planning on spending around five to seven hundred bucks. I just need some direction. I can handle things being electronically complicated I use to program robots and cnc equipment. Thank you for your advice.
Have much have you studied art?

Photography certainly has a technical element to it but the really nice images are more about art.

Lenses have more to do with the quality of dSLR images than does the camera.

Long range lenses will add to the cost of your setup.

I have a used Nikon D60 (1/4000 second max shutter speed, zero shutter lag) for sell here at TPF ($365.00). It's just the body (no lens) so you wouldn't get saddled with a kit lens, unless you decide that's what you want. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/196690-fs-nikon-d60-w-free-grip.html

For wildlife and shooting daytime field sports (soccer/football) I got myself an inexpensive Sigma 150-500 mm zoom lens. That was $1000. The really nice Nikon 200-400 mm zoom I really wanted, was $6300.

You can get kit lens zooms like the Nikon 55-200mm for $250 new or about $175 used.

The best setup would probably be something like the D60, the 18-55 mm kit lens and a 55-200 mm kit zoom, though you'll be a bit short on reach (magnification).

Oh look... this thread again..

Not trying to discourage you but having a DSLR makes it more difficult to get a good photo, not the other way around.

Can you please explain this to me, I look at a DSLR in fully automatic as a huge point and shoot camera. Having a better lens and a larger sensor to me equals better point and shoot photos.

Unfortunately, $700 is not that big of a budget for what your asking for. Your best bet might be to pick up a used D40, which is still a very good camera, or maybe able to pick up a package with a few lens as well. If your starting out, I would suggest a simple standard zoom like the 18-55mm, which goes for about $100 or so. I would also suggest the 55-200mm VR lens if you want range. If you can get a decent used D40 and these 2 lenses, you should be good to go and be around your budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back