New here and wanting to improve in photography

Kfinley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, my name is Kassie and I am new to the site. I bought my first DSLR camera, canon Rebel XS, about two years ago. I have discovered I LOVE photography. I have done some pictures of family and friends but I want to improve to start doing it professionally. But I know to do that I need to know how to make my pics better. So I want to get your thoughts on some pictures I have taken (I take in raw so that I can improve any colors exposure ect.) but what would help me to improve my pics?
$image.jpg $image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Welcome, Kassie!

First one is in monochrome, but the exposure looks good.
Second one looks like the colors are de-saturated.
Third one colors seem fine.
Fourth one looks monochrome.
Fifth one colors are good.
Sixth one colors are off.
Seventh one colors look good.

Hi Kassie and welcome to the forum. My only comment would be to ask that if you are going to post more than one or two images, then it would make it a lot easier for someone to review them if you number them. Numbering makes each image easier to refer to in any comments that a reviewer might care to make.

WesternGuy

Hi Kassie ! Nice to have you here.
I don't think you have to improve a whole lot. Of course; no one is perfect but I like your choice of color manipulation as it support the subjects with exception of pic #6 (993 kb) which seems to have not the best lightning. I really like the convention of #4 and also #2. Maybe only you would have to do something about the composition of your pictures as in some it could be better.
Cheers !

Your work is definitely off to a good start; there are lots of little tweaks (WB, fill, etc) that would improve the images, but as mentioned, there are rather too many for which to provide good critique. If you do want to turn this into a career, then my first suggestions would be to find out what your specialty is going to be and work to build a strong portfolio in that gendre. Unfortunately, being a "general practicioner" is often no the best approach, so take some time to decide if it's portraits, newborns, weddings, etc that you like and work toward that.

Not too bad. These for the most part have the current modern "manipulated" aesthetic. The last one of the girl is a bit OOF. The prior shot of her inside the tube or slide has an interesting color cast that I think is due to the tube, and not simply just "off-color". I dunno...keep shooting, keep studying compositional theories and ideas, keep learning. This kind of heavy-handed processing is very popular right now. I think on some shots it looks good.

Thank you for all the suggestions and I will remember to number the pics next time. Sorry I have not replied in a while it has been a crazy week. I did do an engagement photo shoot this last weekend and they picked a photo and I designed their shower invitations. I do have another question but I think it needs to be in another section so i will go look and see where I should post it. Again thanks for all the help. :)

Here are a few from the photo shoot I did this weekend. I bought reflectors and was thrilled with the result I will never take pics outside without reflectors again.
I am posting this from my phone and can't number them

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 96
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 81
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 96
  • $image.jpg