New here! I need help with lighting... CC a couple pics please

You put the trigger on the hotshoe of your camera and the receiver plugs into the side of the bulb. When you fire your camera it fires the flash. The second flash will fire as it sees the first firing.
You just can't go over 1/250 for your shutter speed.

Ok after doing some research, I realized that the bulbs I have are actually 85 watts but equivalent to 300 watts. The maximum wattage for my light sockets is 105 watts. If I buy efls equivalent to 450 will this make much of a difference? This is so frustrating!
There's nothing wrong with continuous lights, just take a look at Kinoflo's. The problem is that your aperture is too small, and your lights have less wattage than what I use in my house. 85W is NOTHING. Go to home depot, get some 300w equiv. CFL's (about $15 each), white balance for them, and shoot with a ultra wide aperture like f/1.4. Than at least you can shoot at somewhat reasonable ISO's, and the wrinkles in the muslin won't be so distracting because they'll be so out of focus.

No, it won't make any difference really. Continuous lighting you'd have to have about 25 of those lights to actually light your subject a LITTLE.
Continuous is 90% a total waste of money.

Why are you set against the slave bulbs and a trigger? You'd spend several hundred to thousand dollars more to get the same amoun6 of light from a continuous light set up as you would from those cheapie slave bulbs. Total cost for that would add you maybe $60.

Thanks. I'm not against the slave triggers at all. Just a little nervous because I have no idea what I am doing. If I buy this trigger will it also work for off camera flash? What do I need to buy to use my flash off camera hooked up to an umbrella? Thank you so much for all your help
No, it won't make any difference really. Continuous lighting you'd have to have about 25 of those lights to actually light your subject a LITTLE. Continuous is 90% a total waste of money. Why are you set against the slave bulbs and a trigger? You'd spend several hundred to thousand dollars more to get the same amoun6 of light from a continuous light set up as you would from those cheapie slave bulbs. Total cost for that would add you maybe $60.

It'll be ok. When you get them, put them together and use them. Then post questions. There is someone here nearly 24/7 and we'll help you!

Ok sorry if I'm being difficult... I'm just iffy on spending more money! Do you think those 2 slave lights and the trigger is all i'll need to get enough light? I am worried I'm gonna spend the money and it won't be enough.... Like I did with these crap continuous lights!! Thanks
It'll be ok. When you get them, put them together and use them. Then post questions. There is someone here nearly 24/7 and we'll help you!

yes. You will be able to shoot indoors with those two. I have a couple of them here. I can light up 2 to 3 people with them with shoot thru umbrellas if I place them carefully. I rarely pull out a full sized strobe to use in my house because these are just easy and little! I use them to do portraits in a booth-like setting for weddings and events as well. They're great and if someone breaks one? I am out $20 bucks-instead of a couple hundred on a good strobe. I can set my kid up with a camera and these and she can shoot portraits all day long.
It's ok to be a bit cautious! You already made the bad call with the first set you got, had you had been so cautious with that kit you ordered-we'd have told you it was useless.

They won't be ideal for a whole family shoot of 4-6 people, but if you combine them with your speedlight? Sure!

Ok thanks for all your help, I just ordered them! Can't wait to play! Any suggestions on where I should set them up? Do i aim 1 light at the subject at a 45 degree and one to the side? Or 1 on the backdrop? I have so much to learn, I am so glad I found this forum!!

yes. You will be able to shoot indoors with those two. I have a couple of them here. I can light up 2 to 3 people with them with shoot thru umbrellas if I place them carefully. I rarely pull out a full sized strobe to use in my house because these are just easy and little! I use them to do portraits in a booth-like setting for weddings and events as well. They're great and if someone breaks one? I am out $20 bucks-instead of a couple hundred on a good strobe. I can set my kid up with a camera and these and she can shoot portraits all day long.
It's ok to be a bit cautious! You already made the bad call with the first set you got, had you had been so cautious with that kit you ordered-we'd have told you it was useless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back