new here with a few pictures :)

stringa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, been a member on here for a little while but never really posted before. I'm pretty new to photography but i really enjoy doing it so thought i'd show you a few of my photos :D

291.jpg

323.jpg

303-2.jpg

I've never seen Pink Flamingos in real life before...I have, however, watched (and own) Pink Flamingos

I've never seen Pink Flamingos in real life before...I have, however, watched (and own) Pink Flamingos
Me neither before taking the photo. I'm happy to say i've never seen it :razz:

Hmmm.....what's that thing on the top of that pole in pic #1? is it like a hunched over monkey? It's very distracting, and I don't understand where you were trying to go with this pic. The last two don't really seem much more than just snapshots. I'm just saying this because I myself am trying to learn how to compose better photographs. I guess we all gotta start somewhere!

I have to agree with 'Under the Pink' - it does look like a hunched over monkey in the first one. With #2 and #3, the composition could be made better with some creative cropping to focus the viewer's attention on what you want there to be focus on... In #3, I feel there is too much 'dead' space to the left of the picture that doesn't really hold anything of interest when I think you want your viewer to look more closely at the flamingos...

Hmmm.....what's that thing on the top of that pole in pic #1? is it like a hunched over monkey? It's very distracting, and I don't understand where you were trying to go with this pic. The last two don't really seem much more than just snapshots. I'm just saying this because I myself am trying to learn how to compose better photographs. I guess we all gotta start somewhere!

I have to agree with 'Under the Pink' - it does look like a hunched over monkey in the first one. With #2 and #3, the composition could be made better with some creative cropping to focus the viewer's attention on what you want there to be focus on... In #3, I feel there is too much 'dead' space to the left of the picture that doesn't really hold anything of interest when I think you want your viewer to look more closely at the flamingos...

thanks for the responses guys. You're both right it is a hunched over monkey. Yeah they probably are nothing more than snapshots to be honest, but as you said we all have to start somewhere. but thanks for the criticism.

Hmm where do you think i should crop #2 and #3? as i know the first photo isn't really going anywhere. I'll have a go at cropping them and see if it improves them. :thumbup:

#2 is the only one where you have the right lens but the horizon is crooked and lack of post processing.

The other two you are not zoomed in enough to make the photos interesting. The scenery is not nice enough to take photos of the birds zoomed out like that.

#2 is the only one where you have the right lens but the horizon is crooked and lack of post processing.

The other two you are not zoomed in enough to make the photos interesting. The scenery is not nice enough to take photos of the birds zoomed out like that.

I only have the one lens at the minute and i dont have any photoshop either these are all just pretty much point and shoot shots. Yeah i can see what you mean with the other shots.

"...don't really seem much more than just snapshots.." Hey Stringa. I read this and thought that this is exactly how my pictures turn out. Snapshots! I am reading all the comments and trying to figure out when does a snapshot turn into a photograph.

I love the way that most can critique and provide advice on how to improve. I am learning so much by reading as many posts like this as I can. One of these days I will get the courage to post some of my own for some helpful advice.

Cheers and thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Jim

Stringa download Gimp for free. For free its excellent and you'll have those crooked horizons straight in no time! Also theres loads of tutorials on the net on how to use Gimp.

"...don't really seem much more than just snapshots.." Hey Stringa. I read this and thought that this is exactly how my pictures turn out. Snapshots! I am reading all the comments and trying to figure out when does a snapshot turn into a photograph.

I love the way that most can critique and provide advice on how to improve. I am learning so much by reading as many posts like this as I can. One of these days I will get the courage to post some of my own for some helpful advice.

Cheers and thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Jim

A "snapshop" is a record of a time and place by someone. Often unless you were there, you don't know why, where, by who, and of who.

A photograph that becomes interesting to a wider audience, by contrast, allows you to figure out the why, the where, and the who. A good photograph actually tells a story, or allows you to invent one. Visually, it will have an entry point, a middle, and and exit point, just like a good short story. A really great photograph will open your eyes and give you the "AHA" reaction, or a 'WoW". If your reactions are "I want to know more", or "Wow, I had no idea...", or "I never thought of it like that before..." then the photograph succeeded.

That's one way of seeing the difference between snapshots and photographs.

Most reactions

Back