New here with some questions.

kait89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I am new here and new to having something other than a point and shoot camera. I have a Canon T3. The reason we got it is so that we can document some family memories of our baby. (Now toddler eek!!)

Anyway, we have family visiting so we are doing a bunch of sightseeing and they asked if I could do some senior pictures with their son. Keep in mind I don't want to be one of those know-it all "faux-tographers". I do pretty good with auto mode :D. So I have spent nap time researching how to use manual mode. Uhm SCARY! Now I know why I pay to have pictures done!

Lets say that we are down by a river that is pretty shady but there is light peaking in through trees. I want to use a low ISO, right? Then have a wide f-stop I think. But then what about shutter speed?! Or do I just say heck with it and stay with auto. Or do what I am tempted to do and say no to this whole idea?!?!

One last thing. Are UV Filters and polarizers important? One person in this house says yes, one says no. I also don't think either of us know the correct answer.

Thank you!!!
Kaitlyn

Polarizers good; uv irrelevant
shoot aperture preferred, with aperture set to desired dof and iso high enough so that speed is ok
Ignore using manual for now.
ignore person who thinks uv filter important

Last edited:
if you do well on auto ;) what you can do to venture in to manual is begin changing one of the elements of exposure. if you like a shot on auto, and it's exposed at 1/250 f16 200.....leave iso at 200, and change shutter speed to 1/1000 and 1/60. observe what changes occur. do the same with aperture and iso, and repeat with other static subjects, moving subjects, and varying lighting situations. create bad shots so you can now avoid them later and know exactly why.

Learn more about the exposure triangle to give you more of an idea how to use manual/aperture/shutter modes. Here's one link.

Learning about Exposure ? The Exposure Triangle

And here's another link for the "super" basics of photography.

Basics of photography

Feel free to ask further questions and also do your own research and practice, practice and practice taking photographs. Don't be afraid to experiment. Happy shooting! ;)

Or do what I am tempted to do and say no to this whole idea?!?!

That.

If your not comfortable doing it and you know that you do not yet have the skills needed to do the job properly then tell them that.

Lets say that we are down by a river that is pretty shady but there is light peaking in through trees.
That is known as dappled sunlight. Avoid it like the the plague.

You not only need to select the exposure settings, you also need to select the metering and focus settings too.
For focus modes and details review pages 81 - 85 of your T3 instruction manual.

Unfortunately the T3 does not have spot metering mode.
You will want to set the T3 up so it is using the Center-weighted metering mode or the Partial metering mode. (See page 100 of your T3 instruction manual.)
As already recommend, if you use the Av shooting mode, the camera will select an appropriate shutter speed. (See page 94 and 95 of your T3 instruction manual.)

You might some of these tutorials helpful:
Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed
Making the Most of Natural Light in Photography
Digital Exposure Techniques
Reducing Camera Shake with Hand-Held Photos

Last edited:
Lets say that we are down by a river that is pretty shady but there is light peaking in through trees. I want to use a low ISO, right? Then have a wide f-stop I think. But then what about shutter speed?! Or do I just say heck with it and stay with auto.

The truth is there are all kinds of situations where Auto will give you a totally decent result, but I'm afraid the situation you're talking about photographing isn't one of them. It sounds like it will have dark areas mixed with really bright areas, which is just the type of situation where relying upon the camera's internal voodoo to come up with a nice exposure is likely to lead to very disappointing results.

If you're just informally taking pictures of family then I'd say go for it and use the opportunity to get some practice. The only thing I'd suggest is to make sure you properly manage everybody's expectations.

Thanks for all the links! They are really helpful and interesting.

As for managing expectations and not having proper skills, we are all fully aware. They were going to do the pictures themselves anyway. They aren't expecting something super amazing.

Why not tell them what you said on here? - that you know now why you pay to have pictures done.

People seem to have the mistaken impression that just having a DSLR makes their friend/relative a portrait photographer - maybe you need to let them know you can't do a 'senior session', you just got your first DSLR and haven't even completely learned how to use the camera yet. That takes time.

I don't think you can learn how to use your camera in manual settings in varying lighting conditions etc. from a message board. If your relatives were going to do it themselves anyway then that might be what they'll need to do, or they'll need to think about budgeting for senior portraits done by a professional photographer.

Since you're planning to take some family photos while you're out sightseeing, if you get some nice pictures of their son or their family you could offer those. Enjoy using your camera taking pictures of your toddler who's probably keeping you busy enough.

Tell your family that they should still take the photo's, however ask if you can still tag along. Then take the best from both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back