New here...

Hock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All
I recently got a canon Xsi.. looking to get a little bit more serious into this hobby? Any general tips and pointers to get started? Books to read? Among my lurking, I found a suggestion to pick up "understanding exposures" any one else have a recommendation? Thanks

Understanding Exposure is definitely a good one. A "Digital Field Guide" also exists for practically every camera out there, and I'm sure there is one for the XSi. Could check that out, it'd likely be useful.

As far as general tips, the two biggest that will give the quickest payback in the quality of your work are (imho):

1) Learn the rule of thirds for composition. (Do a forum or google search for "rule of thirds" and you'll find it. It's actually a really simple concept.)

2) Learn to watch your backgrounds. There's nothing more frustrating than thinking you've got a great series of shots only to get home and find out that there was something ridiculous and distracting in the background.

Otherwise, participate in this forum, maybe join up with the excellent mentor program here. Read a lot, and take lots of pictures! Post them up for critique here. You might get a harsh critique, but how else do you learn?

Hope that helps!

2) Learn to watch your backgrounds. There's nothing more frustrating than thinking you've got a great series of shots only to get home and find out that there was something ridiculous and distracting in the background.
This one is more difficult than it sounds. I am constantly noticing things after I get the images on the computer that I should have looked out for when looking through the camera.

If you do not know too much about photography or DSLR equipments in general (like me back in March 2008), this link may help.

Also, the Tutorial Thread in this forum is very useful as well.

This one is more difficult than it sounds. I am constantly noticing things after I get the images on the computer that I should have looked out for when looking through the camera.

Most definitely. Although even a bit of consideration will help. I doubt any photographer is perfect in watching their background, but even just a bit of attention to it will help out quite a bit.

Thanks for all the responses..

I have stumbled upon the tutorial, I have it book marked and plan on reading it when time allows, which is hopefully soon

Otherwise, participate in this forum, maybe join up with the excellent mentor program here. Read a lot, and take lots of pictures! Post them up for critique here. You might get a harsh critique, but how else do you learn?
Hope that helps!

mentor program = being active here, correct?
-H

You definitely need to be active, but the mentor program is where you are paired up specifically with a more experienced member of the board and they work with you one on one and give you individual attention. It's really nice. I've been using it for a while now, and my mentor is very helpful and goes out of his way to help me out as much as he can. It's definitely worth looking into.

How does one join said mentor program?

ttt. Anyone else has some pointers for me?

Pointers...just get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot! Experimentation with what works and what doesn't is great. The boards are great to get ideas and run things by people, but nothing is as good as getting out there and trying different things!

As far as general tips, the two biggest that will give the quickest payback in the quality of your work are (imho):

1) Learn the rule of thirds for composition. (Do a forum or google search for "rule of thirds" and you'll find it. It's actually a really simple concept.)...quote]

This is so true. In my book, I would suggest you learn this first because it isn't as obvious as exposure. It is easy to see, "Oh, a dark photo... oh, an over exposed photo... oh, out of focus photo" but composition helps make you photo worth viewing. I've seen and taken so many photos that had great exposure and sharp focused but they were so uninteresting. The Rule of Thirds is a great place to start when learning how to take interesting photos. Below is a basic video of the Rule of Thirds.

Easy to Understand, Rule of Thirds Video

Most reactions

Back