new L lens?

dustinpedley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am moving out to Denver this next month and i want to get into some landscape photography. I know nothing about wide angle lenses.
I would like to stay in the canon range but im not opposed to 3rd party lense as long as there good quality. Im leaning towards the 24-70 because of the versatility, but im worried that because i have a crop frame camera so the equivalent of 38mm is to narrow.

EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

are there any else that im forgetting?

You should definitely look at a 10-20mm. Sigma has a nice one for around $400. Canon has a 10-22mm that runs around $700.

Edit: I see that you asked about L lenses. Canon doesn't make an L zoom lens wider than the 16-35mm. The 10-22 is not an L lens and it is EF-S as well. 16 or 17mm is super wide on a full frame camera, but no so on a cropped sensor. The equivalent is the 10mm on the lenses noted above.

Last edited:
If youre shooting a crop sensor and not full frame or 35mm film the sigma 10-22 is definitely your wide angle choice over the pricey canon version. the 17-40mm will behave more like a standard zoom (like a 24-70) in terms of focal length. thats why canon makes EF-S lenses like the 17-55 F/2.8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back