New lens coming in today!

iriairi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.finalsignal.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have gotten other lenses, but was kind of curious what others did to test new lenses when they get them? Do you set up a scenario and use your old and then your new?

I feel like this is Christmas in April...:)

Things I do:

- test for back or front focusing. Download the FOCUS CHART TEST.

- I also always test a lens on a tripod to verify maximum sharpness and eliminate user (me) error.

- I find out what the sweet spot on my lenses is.

- I push the low light sensitivity to see how good it is in low light conditions

- I take a picture of the SAME item with different lenses to see what it does not only in effect, but colour warmth. I was initially surprised to discover that the warmest lens in my arsenal is the Sigma 10-20mm... and the coldest is the 50mm Nikkor.

- I learn the idiosyncracies and personalities of each lens.

what lens did you get?

Though i have never done testing like jerry, it sounds like something i will try when i get my next lens

what lens did you get?

Though i have never done testing like jerry, it sounds like something i will try when i get my next lens

I used to rely on the JCII tests but they stopped their testing activity over ten years ago. Besides, many "Japanese" lenses come from China and Thailand today.

what lens did you get?

Just a couple (lol)

- Sigma 10-20mm
- Sigma 105mm F/2.8 macro
- Sigma 30mm F/1.4
- Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 macro
- Nikkor 18-200 VR II
- Nikkor 70-200 VR F/2.8
- Nikkor 50mm F/1.8

I plan to add the Nikkor 85mm F/1.4 sometime this summer and maybe a couple more. The new Nikkor 12-24 and 24-70 are kinda attracting my attention. We'll see.

what lens did you get?

I have the Canon 24-105 f/4 IS coming in. It is my first L and am excited and nervous... Not sure that I am bright enough/good enough to know what I have.

JerryPH, those are some great/thorough suggestions. I will definitely try some. Do you use any specific objects, colors? Blacks, oranges, whites, textured fabrics, etc.?

JerryPH, those are some great/thorough suggestions. I will definitely try some. Do you use any specific objects, colors? Blacks, oranges, whites, textured fabrics, etc.?

The char is black and white. I like to use a bowl of fruits or faces of people in all ambient light to give me an idea of tones.

Most reactions

Back