New lens dilemma

joshuatdlr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am trying to decide what should be my next lens. I'm between the Canon 10-18 STM and the Canon 55-250 STM. I know they are very different, but i'm trying to decide which one would be more useful for travel. I currently have a 80D, 18-135, and 50 f/1.4. Which one should I get first or just be gluttonous and get both?

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
A LOT of beginning shooters have difficulty in making interesting, impactful pictures with really wide-angle lenses. The issue is the temptation to zoom alllll the way out to the short end, and then to take a shot from not-anywhere-near-close-enough. This leads to pictures with distant-looking background stuff, rendered small, and low in detail, and lacking in visual interest.

It takes a lot of dedicated practice to learn how best to use a very wide-angle zoom lens. Lower focal length usually means lower interest, in anything beyond 10 or 15 feet distant. I honestly think that, for many places, TELE-landscape and telephoto travel shots can have more interest, reveal more detail, and also, create more-pleasing pictures than wide-angle shots.

24 to 85mm on FF is a great walkaround lens. So, with the current lens lineup having the 18-135, plus the 50mm f/1.4 Canon which is a very solid lens, I honestly think that the 55-250 STM might be the handier, better lens for travel use. You might ALSO consider the new 24 and 40mm pancake primes Canon offers! SMALL, easy-to-carry in a waist pack, sharp, f/2.8, $199 each more or less.

Last edited:

ASCarvalho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
You already have a nice tele lens. Am I right to assume that you would take more landscape photos, rather than long range close-ups? If I am, I would buy the 10-18, especially becouse your camera isn't FF, so your wider lens right now is about 29mm. The 10-18 would be 16mm wide. If I'm wrong and you want to photograph wild life, birds, for example, take the 55-250.

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

JonA_CT

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
When you're traveling, you'll also find that you end up using whatever lens is on the camera, or at least I do. As a result, that 18-135 will probably be more handy than you think.

Most reactions

New Topics