new lens for my digital rebel

thomash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I switched from my much loved Olympus OM-2 with a nice standard 50mm lens to the digital rebel recently. I've been taking a lot of pictures and I've been pretty happy. Somehow I took nicer pictures with my 50mm OM-2 though. The main reason as I see it is the lens.

I really like to focus manually. I don't trust the autofocus and it always annoys me. I never seem to get it right. Now the focus ring on the 18-55mm zoom lens that comes with the rebel is absolutely terrible. It's feels really cheap and is very hard to use accurately. With my Olympus I took lots of beautiful portraits of people with the background out of focus and just the face in focus. I can't get that to work very well with my new lens at all. Maybe it's the apperture that doesn't go very low? I don't know. Probably a combination of the apperture and the focus ring.

It's strange it felt very nice taking pictures with my Olympus 50mm and I think maybe I could get the same with a new lens for my rebel. I'd like to spend little and was considering the standard 50mm/1.8 Mark II lens by canon. But then I have to consider the conversion factor of 1.6 and it seems it would feel more like an 80mm lens which is too narrow for me.

Maybe I should get a 28mm.

What do you suggest?

Has anyone else had this problem of switching to the rebel and being unhappy with the way it felt to take photos using that lens?
I'm not a professional so I don't really want to be spending lots of money on a really good lens I just want something that's a bit more like what I had on my Olympus.

Thomas

I would get the 50mm. If you like to take portraits, 80mm is a perfect portrait length, and the 1.8 aperture will help you to blur out the background. The kit lens that you got with your rebel is a very cheap consumer lens, and is not fast, so don't expect great things out of it. It will perform well if used in certain situations, like landscape photography, stopped down to f/8 to maximize sharpness. If you really want to maintain a 50mm feel, get a 35mm prime. Canon makes a 35mm f/2 which is around $200 and is decent. The good ole 50mm is under $100 though ;) It's my portrait lens of choice.

I'm with digital matt.

35 f/2 and 50/1.8 are a must at those prices.

35 is gonna become your "normal" lens... at 56mm... but the bokeh and DOF is gonna be 1.5 to 2 times worse than 50mm f/1.8 mounted on full frame.

50/1.8 is wonderful for portraits with the crop factor... AND cheap.

Forget manual focusing with the rebel.

The pentamirror is dark. The small viewfinder is dark. There are no focusing aids...

Learn to love autofocus or shell out for 1Ds.

yeah I think I will get a 35mm first. And I really didn't want to hear that I should forget manual focusing on my rebel ;-). I'm a student I can't afford anything more expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back