New lens! Lightroom!

MetaphoricalFoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6. This is one of the first pictures I took on my way home. Good? Bad?
What do y'all think about the edit also? I just started using Adobe Lightroom and so far, I see what all the hype was about.

$gatestuySML.jpg

Cheers!

Welcome to the Forum. There are lots of folks here who will give you feedback - some of it might be a little "raw" at times (pardon the pun), but it is all meant to help you improve as a photographer.

The shot you have posted is not bad, but it is a bit dark, particularly the foreground. What type of metering were you using for this, as I suspect that the bright part of the sky has sort of hijacked your camera's metering and thus the sky is probably exposed fairly well, but the "land" part of it is underexposed. You might be able to correct this using the graduated filter tool in Lightroom - don't know, but if it were mine, I would try it.

From a compositional perspective, having the horizon almost in the middle of the picture makes for a very static image, better to place in the lower third or upper third of the image, depending on whether you want to emphasize the land or the sky. You might want to check out the "rule of thirds" regarding horizon placement. The other "compositional" thing I would mention is the gate in the middle of the picture. It is nice that you have the line of the hydro towers and wires to carry the viewers eye through the image, but the horizontal line presented to the viewer by the gate presents a small visual block to the viewer's eyes. Would have made a better composition if the gate had been open. This would have allowed the viewer's eyes to follow the road through the gated area and into the distance of the picture. HTH.

WesternGuy

Sweet deal!!! New lens, and awesome new software for image handling!

Welcome to the Forum. There are lots of folks here who will give you feedback - some of it might be a little "raw" at times (pardon the pun), but it is all meant to help you improve as a photographer.

The shot you have posted is not bad, but it is a bit dark, particularly the foreground. What type of metering were you using for this, as I suspect that the bright part of the sky has sort of hijacked your camera's metering and thus the sky is probably exposed fairly well, but the "land" part of it is underexposed. You might be able to correct this using the graduated filter tool in Lightroom - don't know, but if it were mine, I would try it.

From a compositional perspective, having the horizon almost in the middle of the picture makes for a very static image, better to place in the lower third or upper third of the image, depending on whether you want to emphasize the land or the sky. You might want to check out the "rule of thirds" regarding horizon placement. The other "compositional" thing I would mention is the gate in the middle of the picture. It is nice that you have the line of the hydro towers and wires to carry the viewers eye through the image, but the horizontal line presented to the viewer by the gate presents a small visual block to the viewer's eyes. Would have made a better composition if the gate had been open. This would have allowed the viewer's eyes to follow the road through the gated area and into the distance of the picture. HTH.

WesternGuy
I appreciate your time and your feedback. This whole Lightroom thing is new to me but I see where it can be a lifesaver. I'll definitely play with the image a little more. The rule of thirds is something I didn't (but I guess I should have) taken into account. I'm still gaining my eye for the art. I also played with Photoshop too. Maybe a little to much. Thanks, WesternGuy.

It's a nice shot. Lightroom is amazing, I have to keep reminding myself to not get carried away with all it's powerful tools and rather to let the photo speak for itself.

Don't get too hung up on ROT - you've got some leading lines in here to carry the eye around the shot; I also like the crossing, horizontal wires. You could, IMO, crop out the foreground and put the gate near the bottom of the shot - there's not much going on there.

Most reactions

Back