New lens needed with Nikon D3300 kit?

Re3iRtH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I am wondering if I'll need a more wide angle or just a better lens in general for landscape photography. This kit came with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens but the widest aperture size in the standard lens is like f/4.2. I tried a friend's nice lens while he was lecturing me on basics, and it seemed so nice and had like a f/1.5 at its largest. Your thoughts?

Start taking photos, learn about photography, and improve your skills, before you go out and buy anything else. You already have more than what I'd advise a beginner to buy, so you should really start doing something with it. Don't worry about the gear you don't have. There will always be another lens you'll want to add to your "collection."

Thanks for your feedback! From what I gathered, a tripod is a must. Do you think that kit coupled with this tripod I ordered: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod W/SBH 100 ALTA PRO 263AB 100
would be enough for photos on hikes where it can get pretty windy especially at higher elevations.

Start taking photos, learn about photography, and improve your skills, before you go out and buy anything else. You already have more than what I'd advise a beginner to buy, so you should really start doing something with it. Don't worry about the gear you don't have. There will always be another lens you'll want to add to your "collection."

Hello all, I am wondering if I'll need a more wide angle or just a better lens in general for landscape photography. This kit came with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens but the widest aperture size in the standard lens is like f/4.2. I tried a friend's nice lens while he was lecturing me on basics, and it seemed so nice and had like a f/1.5 at its largest. Your thoughts?
I can't think of any particular application in which you would need f/1.5 for landscape shots. Maybe rarely if ever for that unusual composition.

If you get that lens, you will probably be shooting with a smaller aperture, but it is nice to have the larger aperture if you need to shoot in low light for instance. The advantage of the larger aperture will be more useful for photographs other than landscapes, IMO.

Thanks for your feedback! From what I gathered, a tripod is a must. Do you think that kit coupled with this tripod I ordered: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod W/SBH 100 ALTA PRO 263AB 100
would be enough for photos on hikes where it can get pretty windy especially at higher elevations.

I have that tripod and its fantastic. Its good that you are planning on buying a nice quality tripod that will last you many years.

The Vanguard 263 is a fine tripod. I have two. Used regularly with long lenses. Shop around for best price.

Phil

From what I gathered, a tripod is a must.
Nothing is a must, unless you must have it. Again, start taking photos to see what you need. You may find that, at least for the time being, you already have everything you need.

:( Does that mean you think it is too heavy to be going on hikes with? Those are some of the best shots here.

And you can use it as a club if someone tries to steal your camera

Too late.. Well, both Amazon and B&H had it for $199, but I ordered it from B&H even though they charged for shipping. I had thought the mail-in rebate was only specific to them. Anyway, I probably will be too lazy to send in the rebate, like most people.

The Vanguard 263 is a fine tripod. I have two. Used regularly with long lenses. Shop around for best price.

Phil

:( Does that mean you think it is too heavy to be going on hikes with? Those are some of the best shots here.

And you can use it as a club if someone tries to steal your camera
No they will think it is too heavy when they get it wrapped round their head

Wide angle for landscape is one way to do it, but I would question why anybody would choose to go wider than 18mm on a landscape unless you were trying to pull off an unusual effect... for general use? No.

Better quality? Well, honestly that kit lens is pretty darned good, I would wait until the limiting factor to your success is the lens (i.e. you perfect EVERYTHING else about shooting landscapes) before upgrading for landscape purposes...

If you had said architectural photography or sports, then that would be another story... but landscapes will be fine with your kit lens.

It seems as if you are taking landscapes in low light, you are pretty much forced to use a tripod in order to be able to use longer shutter speeds. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

From what I gathered, a tripod is a must.
Nothing is a must, unless you must have it. Again, start taking photos to see what you need. You may find that, at least for the time being, you already have everything you need.

Thanks, much appreciated. I think I need to go get several 1000s of photos under my belt, before considering another lens. :)

Wide angle for landscape is one way to do it, but I would question why anybody would choose to go wider than 18mm on a landscape unless you were trying to pull off an unusual effect... for general use? No.

Better quality? Well, honestly that kit lens is pretty darned good, I would wait until the limiting factor to your success is the lens (i.e. you perfect EVERYTHING else about shooting landscapes) before upgrading for landscape purposes...

If you had said architectural photography or sports, then that would be another story... but landscapes will be fine with your kit lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back