New lens or tele converter

Dana C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everybody,

I love both the outdoors, wildlife photography, (although i am just getting started), and high school sports. To those ends, I bought a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 two ring version lens. While the 200 will do most of what I want, having additional reach for wil be something I will want sooner or later. It is not so much for sports but wildlife.

The question is, do I spend $150-$200 for a quality Tele extender or save up and buy something what will go to 400mm like the Nikon 80-400 or Sigma 120-400? Both can be bought for around $700-800 used on ebay. The teleconverter at 2x will give me a 400mm equivalent at f4.8 or at least that is what I think. I know that image quality can suffer a little but if I go in that direction I will buy a 7 element quality piece.
The other way is either the Nikon 80-400 f4 vr or the Sigma DG 120-400 x. OS etc. The Nikon can be had on ebay for $750 to $850 and the Sigma for $500-$600.
I am new at this I will greatly appreciate all your advice.
Thanks,
Dana

Your budget is limited but you k is the low end costs.
What is your budget?

If you use a teleconvertor with the 80-200 then your lens will be a manual focus lens. I'm having problems focusing my 80-200 as a MF lens as it was designed for AF.

So I recommend you looks at a lens for longer length

I'm using a 2x TC with my 300mm/4 but the lens was designed for MF before they made short throws for AF systems.

If you're really interested in wildlife, I would lean more to something like the "Tamzooka". The 80-200 is a good lens, but you're going to lose a LOT with a 2x TC. The Nikon 80-400 is, well... IMO, an adequate lens at best, but 'disappointing' is more appropriate.

If the Nikon is not the greatest what would you recommend in the $700-$900 USED catagory?...Sigma...Tamron?

The 2x is two stops slower, so it's f/5.6 (2.8 -> 4 -> 5.6)

Lens is always a better choice over teleconverter but there is one factor beyond the money you should consider.
As big as the 80-200mm 2.8 is longer zoom lenses will be even bigger, carrying a bag with 2 of these lenses will make you wanna stop and cry.
I made myself a little rule, for most cases take only maximum of 3 lenses so I have my 24-70mm on the camera and in the bag the Tami 70-200mm and the tiny and lightweight 50mm 1.8D.
After a long walk I can tell you even with these 2 lenses in the bag I am happy to put it down.

If the Nikon is not the greatest what would you recommend in the $700-$900 USED catagory?...Sigma...Tamron?
What I recommend is in the link in my post above. Yes, it's a little more than your stated budget, but not a lot. I'm confident that you will be happier in the long run waiting while you save a little extra than buying now in haste.

New Sigma 150-500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I've read the Nikon 80-400 is good for .. things *not* moving

You have the Sigma 150-500
Sigma 150-600
Tamron 150-600

I think the 150-500 used would be in your budget

What I recommend is in the link in my post above. Yes, it's a little more than your stated budget, but not a lot. I'm confident that you will be happier in the long run waiting while you save a little extra than buying now in haste.

It looks like the larges lens you use is the Tamron 70-200 correct?

From what I've read the Nikon 80-400 is good for .. things *not* moving

You have the Sigma 150-500
Sigma 150-600
Tamron 150-600

I think the 150-500 used would be in your budget

Yes it would be in about a month. They are selling anywhere from $600-$800 used which is comfortable.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back