New lense for Canon 450D

veen_blue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to replace my kit lens (18-55 mm) with new lens as a general walk around lens.
Currently, I am having the following lenses in my kit:
1.sigma 70-300mm DG OS
2.Canon 50mm f 1.8 prime
3.580 EX II speedlite
4.Canon 18 - 55 mm

Please suggest a best lens.I am looking for the following lenses

1. Tokina 12-24 mm
2. Tamron 28 - 75 mm

Regards,
Praveen

I use the 450D too and I'm very interested in the replies that you will get.
When I walk around I carry the 18-55 lens and a 150-500mm Sigma lens in my bag
and a Canon EF 100mm USM lens on the camera.
I settled on the 100mm lens for two reasons.
1) I found that the picture quality was much better then the 18-55, or the sigma.
2) I normally shoot everything I see on a walk from insects to birds in flight.

But I still need to find a replacement for my 18-55 lens for shooting indoors and outdoors where I might need to step back aways in order to get the whole picture in the frame using the 100mm.

I would consider the Sigma DC 17-70 OS HSM. Reasonably priced and will be a step up from the kit lens. It is also a moderate macro lens at 1:2.7 factor.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I would like to replace my kit lens (18-55 mm) with new lens as a general walk around lens.
Currently, I am having the following lenses in my kit:
1.sigma 70-300mm DG OS
2.Canon 50mm f 1.8 prime
3.580 EX II speedlite
4.Canon 18 - 55 mm

Please suggest a best lens.I am looking for the following lenses

1. Tokina 12-24 mm
2. Tamron 28 - 75 mm

Regards,
Praveen

I own a Tokina 12-24 lens and it's an excellent landscape lens, but its a bit too wide to be a conventional walk around lens. The optics on this lens are very good and you'll find the distortion to be surprisingly low for such a wide lens. There will be distortion with all super wides, and this one will be one of the best in class. The zoom and focus on this lens are smooth and tight and have a nice feel to them. It has a bit of weight to it and it feels like a nice piece of glass when you hold it in your hand.

You could use this lens as a walk around if you want to take a photo journalist approach by shooting it at 24mm (38mm equivalent) at f/8 in AV mode and manual focus set at about 9.5 feet. This will give you a zone of focus from about 5 feet to infinity and allow you to shoot your subjects showing their surroundings with everything in focus. It's alot easier to zone focus with a prime, but it can be done with a zoom.

The lens I use as a walk around is a Canon 28-135. It will give you nice pictures for under $300 on ebay. It has IS and USM. The only thing I don't like about it is the loose zoom. Zoom creep is kind of bad on this lens and it doesn't have a zoom lock. I've also found a lens band to be useless because it will get in the way of the focus ring. I have gotten plenty of nice pictures out of mine and the focal range covers enough to be quite useful in most situations.

Most reactions

Back