New Lighting Set-up C&C

g-fi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm dipping my toe into studio lighting, all I've ever worked with is natural light but I'm moving into doing more in-home sessions (newborns) and lighting can be unpredictable. These were taken with two continuous softboxes camera right and camera left, on seamless grey. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out as this was literally the first time I've turned the lights on and shot with them. Next time I'll change up my settings a little, as I could have shot faster than I did.

1/125
f/3.3
ISO 200 (I think)
low power Flashpoint softboxes camera left and right/45 deg. angle

DSC_0009copy.jpg

(I hate using photobucket, these really didn't turn out this soft)

DSC_0061-3.jpg

Really just looking for lighting C&C, these were quick snapshots just to test the lights so I know their clothes/pose/composition isn't perfect!

Yeah, I don't know if it was my positioning, how the kids were moving, or where I had the softboxes positioned, but I noticed that some of the shots have two catchlights in one of the eyes. Is it terribly distracting/faux pas? I've seen others shoot with the result of multiple catchlights from their lighting as well, is there some rule about catchlights?

First, congrads on realizing advantages of flash photography (although you're using continues lighting :) )
overall, pretty good, however, they seem a bit flat. Flat is simpler and less chances of skrewing up BUT, it's a bit boring as well.
look at these two links, good start
Lighting ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Portrait Lighting

good luck

Most reactions

Back