New member / First camera

Depends on what you want to shoot.

Portraits / People = that is usually in the 50mm - 80mm range
Landscapes / Cityscapes = usually in the wide end around <30mm
Sports / wildlife = you are looking at 300mm and more

If you are unsure, then getting a 17-50 and a 70-200 might be a good start.
It all depends on your budget. Usually, the more you pay, the better quality (both build and image) you get. But there are compromises you can make, depending on what you want

I know for a fact I will be shooting a ton of building, landscapes, and cityscapes without a doubt. People will probably pull up in second, and I may dabble with sports/wildlife, but not enough to justify any major purchases.

What's your budget?
You could do something like get a D5000 or D3000 and get a Sigma 10-20mm and Sigma 18-50mm.

lol so pretty much everything.

like bigtwinky said, a 17-50 and a 70-200 will be enough for you to get "decent" pictures of all the stuff you're talking about. once you figure out exactly what you want to do, you can start getting specialty lenses for it.

take me for example... I started with the 18-55 kit lens from canon, then I decided that I wanted to give wildlife a go, so I got my 55-250. then I decided I wanted to have a low light/portrait lens, so I got my 50 f1.8. I think the 18-55 zoom range is a great place to start. the lens is cheap, and while it's not fantastic at anything, it's pretty good at everything. it's a great lens to learn about exposure and composition on.

just my 2 cents.

I was hoping to keep my budget right around 1000, but not sure how possible that is lol. What are some of the common, "less harshly" priced 17-50 and 17-200 lenses out there? Sorry for all the questions guys lol

Not necessarily, the kit you link to comes with an 18-55 lens that isn't even the new VR version. The standard 18-55 can be had for about $100.

You can get a Nikon D90 (body only) for $890 on B&H, a very reputable authorized dealer.

That said, the D90 is an awesome camera - I love mine and definitely don't regret the purchase.

Most reactions

Back