New member, Freelance question

mcph55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys!

This is my first post, I just joined and look forward to getting input from the community.

I have a small freelance question:

I have a freelance job that will require me to (among many other things) shoot specialty shots for a website, to be used as "stock" images for the company. This website is a new up and coming e-commerce site that was started by a friend of a friend, it definitely has potential to be popular.

My question is how much do i charge for the work and the rights?

Listen, I know the whole freelance question is always hazy, and its always hard when someone asks this question. But i have no idea where to start, or how to structure it.

I know i want to keep the rights to the photograph (obviously). They want exclusive rights to show the photograph on the site, so they are original and no one else has them. So should I do like a yearly license with them, per photograph? or is there another way that people do this.

Should i have the license price and then an additional price for going out and taking the pic and processing it? What would be the best way to approach this?

As for price I don't know exactly where to start. I can say that i am very talented ;) people respect my work, I am 22 and just out of college. Still photography is a passion of mine (has been for 8 years) but my career is in movies as a director and director of photography.

I would really appreciate any insight that anyone has, it would help me out a lot with this big "?" i have right now.

Thanks,

- Cody

Cody,

I will recommend "Best Business Practices For Photographers" by John Harrington if you don't already have it. John is a very successful portrait and commercial photographer in Washington, DC.

You can start by visiting his website www.johnharrington.com .

Click on the Pricing link.

Thanks Km!

That site gives me a good idea of at what some people are charging. I will definitely try and pick up that book. It sounds like its something i could really use

If anyone else has other suggestions and or experiences I'm all ears.

Thanks, that seems like a good resource.

Unfortunately it is way to expensive for me right now.

Do you do freelance work?

That website is awesome! Thank you so much, i haven't even begun to delve deep into all the info on there, but this is really a good start.

ASMP: Pricing and Estimating Guides

This link is good for anyone who needs a basis for figuring out freelance pricing.

Most reactions

Back