weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a new monitor to replace my old 1080p TN panel. Unfortunatley, I do a bit of FPS gaming, so I'm looking for something with an IPS screen, high refresh rate and a wide gamut! Budget is around £400 ish.

I'd love a 4K monitor, but realistcally I think this will be outside my budget currently, given the parameters I want.

I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the MSI MAG274QRF-QD and the much more simply named Gigabyte M27Q. Both are 10 bit, 1440p, 27" monitors, over 144hz refresh rate. The MSI has 100% Adobe RGB coverage, the M27Q 97.3%.

But I've heard the MSI can be prone to gamma calibration issues, poorer grey uniformity, and has a very slight colour bleed, where the M27Q has worse ergonomics, slightly lesser colour space coverege and has a BGR sub pixel display which can make stuff like text appear a bit less crisp. Not sure which one to go for, and niether are in stock locally for me to go and see in person. Totally stuck on which one to choose!

I had an MSI 32" curved screen. Dreadful thing and I returned it. Bled all over the place. Ended up with a Handspree 32" curved. Love it. Games are great at 144fps.

I had an MSI 32" curved screen. Dreadful thing and I returned it. Bled all over the place. Ended up with a Handspree 32" curved. Love it. Games are great at 144fps.
Cool mate, I took a punt on the MSI after going through all the reviews again, and deciding that BGR sub pixel layout would really bug me.

First impressions are excellent, it's a lot better than my old TN panel though setup and updating the firmware was a bit of a faff, and an extra cable is requied for the OSD. Tried calibrating it tonight, and the gamut is coming out a bit less than advertised so I downloaded and installed new drivers. Need to go through the settings and see what everthing does and recalibrate it again now! Though the factory calibration doesn't seem far off at all.

Loving the increased resolution, and the colours are great, gonna do some desktop backgrounds in high res and Adobe colour space to see what they look like when I get a little time.

Cool mate, I took a punt on the MSI after going through all the reviews again, and deciding that BGR sub pixel layout would really bug me.

First impressions are excellent, it's a lot better than my old TN panel though setup and updating the firmware was a bit of a faff, and an extra cable is requied for the OSD. Tried calibrating it tonight, and the gamut is coming out a bit less than advertised so I downloaded and installed new drivers. Need to go through the settings and see what everthing does and recalibrate it again now! Though the factory calibration doesn't seem far off at all.

Loving the increased resolution, and the colours are great, gonna do some desktop backgrounds in high res and Adobe colour space to see what they look like when I get a little time.
I have no idea what you just said there Pete but sounds like you're happy with your purchase. Nice one😉

Most reactions

Back