New MP3 player - or tablet/ipad/something else

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I recently thought it might be an idea to get a new MP3 player to replace the cheap 2gb one I currently have (one of those no-name cheap brand options). However the tech market has changed (and somewhat left be behind).

Ipads - tablets - tablet PCs - smartphones - kindle fires and a slew of others mean that there are lots of options on the market that offer a wider range of features than just music playing whilst sitting in a similar price bracket. Indeed the MP3 market appears to be left to cheap brand options - a few very high priced options and mostly iplayers (which honestly having messed around with itunes and hated it I'm apt to avoid).

So I'm left wondering if its really worth getting just a single good MP3 player or if its time to get something that offers mobile internet, email, movie, book and ap features. With a budget of £100-200 I wonder if there is something on the market that would do well for these features whilst giving me a good degree of portability.

Thus far the only clear thing I can see as a bonus to an MP3 player only is the chance of a higher storage capacity coupled with smaller profile size.

So what's on the market that I could consider? I'm just a bit lost in a sea of options at present.

I guess one option that comes to mind is the iPod Touch; basically an iPhone without the "phone" part.

If you figure this out, please be sure to let me know!

I have way more technology than an old curmudgeon like me oughta own. I have an mp3 player--it's old, but functional.
I have a Kindle Fire and I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 phone.

My son has set up Google Play or Google Music or Google SOMETHING so that ALL the music that I have on my home computer (whether purchased online or burned from a CD) is on the "cloud" and I can access this music now from my Samsung phone (or, probably, from my Kindle too--I don't know).
It's cool. It's really, really cool.

And yet, I find myself just pulling out my trusty old no-name mp3 player and listening to the relatively few songs I have on it (I have plenty of space to add more, I just never do).
I keep TRYING to make myself get used to listening to my music on my phone, but...but it's a PHONE, dagnabit, not a stereo system! :D

I really do think this Android/Google music setup may just be a good way to go--if only I can get my son here long enough to REALLY help me get used to using it.

IPod nano are $150 or many English pounds. 8gb, cool touch screen and a trusted brand name.

There is the shuffle version for $50. Nothing fancy but super small and I have one for outdoor activities so I don't ruin my phone.

I use one of these while motorcycling.
sony-walkman_review.jpg

I slip it into the map pocket of my tank bag so the controls are visible/usable while riding.
Mine is a 8GB model and has about a 30hr battery life. The display flashes between the music selection and time, my favorite feature,, I always have to know what time it is.

Most reactions

Back