New Nikon body for under $1000? Is the D90 the way to go?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, I am trying to find a new Nikon body (or refurb) to upgrade my D50 with. Ideally I'd like to keep both bodies.

It seems the D90 might be the way to go. Does anyone have any recommendations for or against that?

Also, does the D90's built-in speedlight have "Commander mode" so I could use my Sb-800 off camera? That would be nice!

Also, anyone know where to I can get a GOOD price on one?

I love my D90 and I use it every day (literally)...

D90 does have commander mode and it works extremely well, your SB-800 will be right at home.

I honestly can't think of any cons to this camera, I wouldn't even trade it for a D300 or D700 (D300s is another story).

yes the D90 is the best option for you. i followed the same upgrade path and i couldn't be happier. i own a D5000 and i will honestly pick up my D50 before i even think about touching the D5000. the D90 is also the least expensive with commander mode.

amazon is where i do all my shopping. i will also check pricegrabber and nextag to make sure it's a good price. never fall for the stores you see offering dslrs for less than other places. they are always a scam. if you are unsure, check resellerratings

I wouldn't even trade it for a D300 or D700 (D300s is another story).

+1

Had mine for a month and two of my friends now hate me cause they have the D40 and D60. This camera is a monster.... I got mine from Best Buy with the 18-105mm kit lens for $1199.00 and I got a $50.00 store credit that my wife spent! LOL

Hey all, I am trying to find a new Nikon body (or refurb) to upgrade my D50 with. Ideally I'd like to keep both bodies.

It seems the D90 might be the way to go. Does anyone have any recommendations for or against that?

Also, does the D90's built-in speedlight have "Commander mode" so I could use my Sb-800 off camera? That would be nice!

Also, anyone know where to I can get a GOOD price on one?
You might visit www.nikonusa.com for the most accurate specs.

Checkout Buydig.com and Amazon.com for pricing.

I'm pretty happy with my D90, but I have never used anything better. I also have a D40x which takes amazing pictures, but it doesn't have enough wheels and buttons to use it efficiently.

The video on the D90 is cool too. Sometimes video captures a moment much better than a still. It's nice to have both in one camera.

~Jay

Hey RM,

I can't say for sure until it happens but my D90 w/mb-d80 grip/dk-21m might be up for sell in a couple weeks. I might even let my old 80-200/2.8 push pull go also.

I'm planning on getting the D700 Finally (going to through in a sigma 70-200/2.8 also :) )

If I don't forget, I'll PM you if you'd like....waiting on my amended tax returns.

Hey RM,

I can't say for sure until it happens but my D90 w/mb-d80 grip/dk-21m might be up for sell in a couple weeks. I might even let my old 80-200/2.8 push pull go also.

I'm planning on getting the D700 Finally (going to through in a sigma 70-200/2.8 also :) )

If I don't forget, I'll PM you if you'd like....waiting on my amended tax returns.

Great let me know!

Check Ebay, that's where I get stuff when I don't have much $ for it.

check Froogle.com, and check techbargains.com.

Also check bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, eBay and Amazon on a daily basis until you find a deal you like.

It completely depends on what your shooting, but if i were you I'd just pick up a new D200 body for around $600 an 50mm 1.8 for $130 some cactus triggers for $40 and then maybe an SB-800 or something.

but again it completely depends on what your shooting.

EDIT:You already have a 50 1.8, in that case I'd save the extra cash for more glass, and still get the extra SB-800.

i would trade mine for a D300 in a heartbeat if that makes a diff. :)

Most reactions

Back