New Nikon D300 set up.

jjprit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yes this is the Nikon D3000. D300 in the title was a type.

I got a new Nikon d3000 i heard alot about it and its a great entry level camera. With it i have a 70-300 Tamron smallest fstop is 4-5.6. I usually shoot around 5.6 because i want a nice soft background when i take portraits. And i was told always take pictures no closer then 75mm? is that true?

I had a few questions about the initial settings im changing and was wondering if some of you pros can help me. First of all i want to state that im a inspiring photographer that is an advanced photoshop user and i shoot everything in RAW format and do not have a light meter so i want to use the internal reflective light meter the camera come with but i do have a grey card. so here we go.

Shooting Menu ( Please i know this is long but i want to know YOUR input on my decisions and maybe it will help me change something of confirm why im doing it )

1)picture control = SD ---becuase i shoot in raw any way so that doesnt matter i heard. it over writes it. its for jpeg users
2) Img Quility = RAW -- Cuz i like raw :)
3) White Balance Auto -- I really never touched this maybe u have some input to change?
4) Iso sensitivity = off --- i was always told to keep this off
5) Active D Lighting = off -- Alot of times i use a fill flash for pictures during the day and still black out the background. Controlling the Ambient light, dont want the camera fixing any light i dont want
6) color space = sRGB -- i heard that adobe is better for certain types of print but most of my work will be on basic 4x6 5x7 or digital. Also sRGB goes from your red to ur purples complete.
7) noise reduction = off -- Dont want camera adding noise before post preduction. i can add noise if needed in photoshop
8) Release mode = Continuous -- I do this becuase i take portraits outside, people blink hair gets blown around so 2-3 pictures each shot usually gets me a good one.
9) Focus mode = AFS -- I do this becuase i dont always want the camera to focus everything, i dont like spot becuase i dont always Center close ups. sometimes i have the eyes off to the right. I use the rule of the thirds. Cometime i put things on the left. Simetimes i go to the right.
10) AF area mode = I do Dynamic so i can choose where on the screen i want the camera to focus.
11) AF assist = on -- sometimes its hard to manually focus with my hand and see clearly to get a good shot through my view finder.
12) Metering mode = SPOT -- This way my camera will Help me figure out the Right exposure on the internal reflective meter to what ever im focusing on
13) Built in flash = TTL - dont know what it is. never touched it before.
14) Auto Image Rotation = on -- was told it helps when i go to production that it rotates pictures for me
15) View Finder Options GRID = ON -- i always liked the grid. It helps me Horizen photos that i want even. Kinda like a Level so i know eyes are even and parallel.

16) How do i get a perfect exposure with my grey card? I was told the best way to use it is....
A) put my camera in Program Mode
B) ask my model to put the grey card infront of her face while we are outside
C) Zoom in and fill the viewfinder with the greycard and press the shutter half way
(zooming in and filling the viewfinder will help becuase i have my auto focus and my metering set to anywhere i choose it to be)
D) READ what auto says the shutter speed and fstop should be
E) go to manual and input those settings ( or just use AE LOCK when in Program mode so it doesnt change)
( or will having my spot light metering be enought to skip this step)

AGAIN THANK U FOR THE HELP GUYS. I ALSO THINK THIS POST WILL HELP NEWER PEOPLE IN THE FUTURE THAT NEED THESE QUESTIONS ANSWERED FOR ANY DSLR CAMERAS :)

Last edited:
I'm confused, your title heading says D300 but the body says D3000

Subscribed.

so it is the nikon d3000 and i got one subscription. I assume that he is intersted in my view of what im looking to do and waht i have dont to do it?

Does anyone have any input?

so it is the nikon d3000 and i got one subscription. I assume that he is intersted in my view of what im looking to do and waht i have dont to do it? Does anyone have any input?
I guess you would get better responses from the right thread since there will be more users with the same model. Although generally we all use Nikon, some features may differ. Just like not all camera brands work to same.

Most reactions

Back