New Orleans Twilight

nola.ron

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Oh, how I need a wider lens :(

1st attempt at any twilight shooting. C&C welcomed.

NOLA Twilight by nola-ron, on Flickr

Edit:
Ya know, after discussions below and comparing side by side I do think I like the non-cropped version better. The crop makes the buildings look smaller.

NOLA by nola-ron, on Flickr

Last edited:
I hate when someone says, 'my first xyz' and they come out looking like this!
Lovely. I am no expert, but I would be happy with this shot. I am sure there is room for improvement from someone more expert of something I am not even cognizant of..
nice outing,
Nancy

Jesus that is excellent IMO, I tried a similar thing a few days ago and it was just a mess lol,

Nicely done. My only nit would be that I wish there was more water in the foreground.
I think the reflections really make these shots and I don't feel like there is enough of that here.

The shot is beautiful, what lens did you shoot this with? What lens do you wish you had?

I hate when someone says, 'my first xyz' and they come out looking like this!
Lovely. I am no expert, but I would be happy with this shot. I am sure there is room for improvement from someone more expert of something I am not even cognizant of..
nice outing,
Nancy

Haha, thank you! It's not executed like I wanted it to be but I was happy enough to post for critique. I have always been completely fascinated by these types of shots and I finally decided to try and learn.

Jesus that is excellent IMO, I tried a similar thing a few days ago and it was just a mess lol,

Thank you very much! How I pulled it off: long exposure (experimented with 5-30 seconds), spot metering, F8-F11 with ISO 100 on a tripod weighed down with my bag of gear. This was the beginning of twilight and not the very end. I think it would have came out better if I was at the end of twilight but my GF was with me and wanted to eat so I didn't get to stay until total darkness for that very perfect moment just before it.

Nicely done. My only nit would be that I wish there was more water in the foreground.
I think the reflections really make these shots and I don't feel like there is enough of that here.

I agree with you and I originally framed it with more water. I later thought I liked the crop to make it look more wide angle, but here's the original frame:

NOLA by nola-ron, on Flickr

The shot is beautiful, what lens did you shoot this with? What lens do you wish you had?

Thanks! Shot with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G. I need a wider tele and just can't decide on whether to get the Nikon 12-24 2.8 or the 24-70 2.8. Decisions, decisions :(

I have a sigma 10-20 and love it.

Looks great to me. More water and reflections might improve it. But yes, a wide-angle would seem like the place to go next.

Most reactions

Back