New Photographer for Band Shoot

sanderso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All.

Two questions:

1) Am I posting this in the right spot? If not, pls direct me accordingly.

2) My brother has been playing live music as a hobby for many decades. He's joined a new band with their first gig next month. He's planning to use a p&s for pix (made me shiver). I thought a new startup photographer might provide his/her time for free to do the shoot, in exchange for exclusive visibility. (Assuming not of interest to anyone established.) Any takers? If so, pls send me a private message and I'll get you in touch with him.

Ah...location: northern Indiana.

(No, I can't do the shoot...have a conflict that weekend.)

Thnx.

Can't lend one of your good friends your gear to do this?

..... I thought a new startup photographer might provide his/her time for free to do the shoot, in exchange for exclusive visibility. (Assuming not of interest to anyone established.)
Does the band play for free?

..... I thought a new startup photographer might provide his/her time for free to do the shoot, in exchange for exclusive visibility. (Assuming not of interest to anyone established.)
Does the band play for free?

Thnx KmH. In a word...basically yes. From what he's told me, $50/band member is typical. (That just wouldn't do it for me.)

And $50 for each band member, is not free.

I think each band member should pay the photographer $30 each to shoot the photos, since they will be planning on getting other gigs, and make more money, because of the photographers photos.

In fact, the photographer should get a cut for each gig they subsequently get by using the photographers photos. I think the photographer should get 5%. If there are 4 band members (collectively getting $200, the photographer would get $10 a gig as a use license fee.

Thnx KmH. In a word...basically yes. From what he's told me, $50/band member is typical. (That just wouldn't do it for me.)

that's 2 words

...:taped sh:

Frankly I don't get it...he's been doing the band thing for decades, getting paid peanuts....and loving it. Sound like any other hobby we might know? :confused:

And $50 for each band member, is not free.

I think each band member should pay the photographer $30 each to shoot the photos, since they will be planning on getting other gigs, and make more money, because of the photographers photos.

In fact, the photographer should get a cut for each gig they subsequently get by using the photographers photos. I think the photographer should get 5%. If there are 4 band members (collectively getting $200, the photographer would get $10 a gig as a use license fee.

Thnx KmH....a good idea. Especially if he signs up with someone who is established and not a beginner. Such an arrangement would make a good ptnrship...one which could generate a few $ for each.

My concern is if he uses someone with a glint in his/her eye to be a pro, then G** knows what sort of pix he'll see. Using a pro means getting proven quality (at least more than a p&s user).

Thnx KmH....a good idea. Especially if he signs up with someone who is established and not a beginner. Such an arrangement would make a good ptnrship...one which could generate a few $ for each.

My concern is if he uses someone with a glint in his/her eye to be a pro, then G** knows what sort of pix he'll see. Using a pro means getting proven quality (at least more than a p&s user).

$30 each per band member, and 5% per gig would be beginner photographer pay.

$30 each per band member, and 5% per gig would be beginner photographer pay.

Yep...doesn't seem that unreasonable.

To clarify, by "established and not a beginner" I meant someone who is holding themselves out as a pro (selling their work) and has a portfolio/samples. Maybe not based on a large body of work, but not someone who just has the glint and hasn't done it before. Such an unknown has higher risk of getting usable pix. Regardless, I gotta believe he'll be further ahead than with the p&s user.

Thnx again!

I shot my cousin band once in a bar, they paid for the booze and i met some pretty nice girls. fair enought for me.

i did shoot bar events a couple times for 200$ a night including licence to use the pictures at will.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back